Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowness of Computers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wafx

Wafx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:10 AM

Hey,

I've recently been encountering 'issues' of computers running slow around my workplace, while I've never seen this myself others seem to say computers are terribly slow during different times of the day and / or selected days of the week.

Now what I'm trying to do is to either prove them wrong or find out for myself does it really run slower and if so why?

What I basically need is something that would let me monitor the computers behavior other than the Event Viewer and try to locate the problem if it's hardware / software / network or related to any other system.

I find it hard to grasp how a Quad Core machine on around 2.4GHz with 4-8 gigs of memory can run slowly with just Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, Lotus notes 8.5.2, Office 2007 and Adobe Reader X with SCCM agent & McAfee agent running in the background. Computers are connected to a domain and group policies are applied.

The OS itself runs pretty much on 'oobe' settings, while this may not be the best optimization it shouldn't affect performance with just the above mentioned software.

Is there any basic optimization I've missed out on? Is there anything I can run to actually find out what is causing these mystical slowdowns at 2pm on a Friday afternoon?

Whenever I check the performance monitor in Win7 I'm yet to see values high enough to cause issues.

B.R
Wafx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:03 AM

First: a good resource -> Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

Based on the cyclical nature of the slowdowns I would say that the sluggishness is likely due to uncontrolled applications and pre-scheduled events. Pre-scheduled events can include things like scheduled antivirus scans and system or application updates. Check running applications for auto-update features and check your scheduled tasks.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Ask your co-workers what they consider slow. In my experience, the word "slow" can mean completely different things depending on who you're talking to. Booting/running slow? Browsing/downloading is slow? Burning is slow?

When I have a client say that their computer is slow I ask them questions as to what aspect they find slow.

I did a job recently where the company complained about all their computers being slow.. turns out they had a guy on the network that was seeding 50+ torrents, slowing everybody's network speed.
Posted Image

#4 ranjeetsah426

ranjeetsah426

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

Scan the whole computer when we start the computer. Use C Cleaner to clear all unwanted things from the computer. 

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Ask your co-workers what they consider slow. In my experience, the word "slow" can mean completely different things depending on who you're talking to. Booting/running slow? Browsing/downloading is slow? Burning is slow?

When I have a client say that their computer is slow I ask them questions as to what aspect they find slow.

I did a job recently where the company complained about all their computers being slow.. turns out they had a guy on the network that was seeding 50+ torrents, slowing everybody's network speed.

The actual cause of a computer being sluggish is way out of my court, but what is in my court are indefinite expressions like "slow", "fast", "hot", "cold, "high", "low", those kind of expressive but rather useless adjectives.

Your reply is superbly put and is the cornerstone question of any  serious problem analysis and constructive action. 

What is "slow" ? I may have missed it, but I cannot see any qualified value of what "slow" means to the OP. In any case, what datum and unit of measurement is used to enable deviations to be described as "slow" or "fast" ? Such adjectives are purely relative.

A computer's processor speed describes the maximum number of calculations per second the processor can perform, and is given in megahertz (MHz) or gigahertz (GHz). Generally, the larger the number, the faster and more powerful the processor needs to be.

So are we talking of CPU deficiency due to overload  or inadequate CPU capacity to handle the load imposed ? Will not a glance at Task Manager reveal a clue as to what programs are taking up CPU capacity and putting the brake on ?

Edited by yabbadoo, 02 July 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#6 JenMorg13

JenMorg13

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

Good point.. that it may be someone on the network. I am trying to clean up one of my laptops that is on the slow side to no avail. I was thinking it could be my router or network....we have comcast in a moderatly populated area

#7 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

first cause :  it might be some process (or maybe a malware) running in background. download Process Explorer. and then,search for the process or program is using most of the RAM,or CPU,or if its disk-usage is high.

second cause : might be your motherboard is unable to handle Windows 7's 64-Bit version,or it is unable to hand 4+ GB of RAM. Install Speccy and post the screenshot,is the mothorboard DDR2 or DDR3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users