Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Ox0000008e

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 misssbb

misssbb

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Dell desktop Intel® Pentium® 4CPU 2.66GHz 2.66GHz 2.00GB of RAM Windows Home Edition XP

This is the fourth time I've suddenly gotten a blue screen that says it's shutting down Windows to protect it and naming the following problem: Ox0000008e (Oxc0000005, OxBF82EB30, OxB3E2AAC8, ox00000000) Win32k.sys Address BF82EB30 base at BF800000 Date Stamp 4f2ba740

I hope the letter O and the numeral 0 are right.

I googled it and found this website: http://www.0x0000008e.com/ that Norton says is safe. They allegedly have a "free download" to fix this, but while it's free to download it, it's not free to use it. Minor detail in semantics!

I've installed no new hardware or drivers, but did install Chrome and a few plugins. The problem started after the plugins, but that could be a coincidence. I do not play CDs or DVDs, or any kind of games.

I have and used right after it happened the first time a couple of weeks ago: Iobit Malware Fighter, Malwarebytes, ESET online scanner, Advanced System Care, Wise PC Engineer, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and the Registry Defrag, Wise Disk Cleaner. The first three came up totally clean, and I got rid of all of the problems the others identified.

I've also noticed that Avast has been updating a lot in the past week or so and that the computer is noticeably slower, particularly when opening up Firefox and Chrome and any links I click on, as well as any documents I have on my hard drive because the Avast ball is spinning, presumably checking for problems.

Just so you know, I'm extremely technologically blonde and unless you make it REALLY simple, I won't have any idea what you're telling me to do or how to do it. If worse comes to worse, I have a friend who is very computer savvy who will do TeamViewer and help me out.

Thank you. I understand that at some point this problem will prevent Windows from opening up at all, which would be a total disaster, because this is the computer I run my business on and it's all I've got.

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum, due to the absence of any malware logs. ~ Animal

Edited by misssbb, 26 March 2012 - 10:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping chocoholic

• Members
  • 4,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hello,

I will be helping you with your problems
Please do the following:

Step 1

Download Security Check by screen317 from here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

----------------

Step 2

Please download Farbar Service Scanner to your Desktop and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center/Action Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

----------------

Step 3

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

----------------

Step 4

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes'
    Anti-Malware
    and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
  • Post the log back here.

Be sure to restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users