Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Syncing a folder between 2 computers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

On my computer I have many large files that I would like to sync with my work computer. I was wondering if anyone knew of software that would basically let me create a folder on both computers that when I drag and drop a file in the folder on one computer it automatically syncs it with the folder on the other computer so that both folders have a copy. I know about dropbox which is pretty much exactly what I am looking for, but I dont want to use the cloud which dropbox makes you use. Is there something out there that is identical to dropbox but lets you turn off cloud storage and is free? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

There's tools like rsync, which synchronizes directories between two computers. The problem (that Dropbox solves) is that both computers must be turned on and ready to send/receive at the time of syncing. Rsync doesn't run automatically but you can create a scheduled task (Windows) or cronjob(Linux/Mac) that runs it periodically if you like.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.
x.png
Boredom Software Stop Highlighting Things

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 25,872 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

So correct me if I'm wrong. You want the ability to automagically synch a folder or folders that exist on two different computers without the use of "The Cloud"? I presume they are not networked in any way?
EDIT:
I see you have a reply

Edited by Animal, 24 March 2012 - 01:23 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

I just looked up stuff about rsync, but it seems kind of complicated. I am a total retard when it comes to programming. I was looking for something as easy as dropbox just without the cloud or the ability to turn it off. And no, the computers are not on the same network.

Edited by Dr. Joe, 24 March 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#5 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Alright so I found Windows Live Mesh and it seems to do what I want it to do. Thanks.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 25,872 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

Thank you for sharing your solution. I was completely unaware of this application due to the fact I still run XP.

For others who may read this topic and try this, be advised that it has OS limitations.

Notes
Windows Live Mesh can be installed on computers running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Mac OS X version 10.5 or later. It can't be installed on computers running Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Home Server version 1, or on PowerPC-based Mac computers.

From: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/mesh-devices-sync-upgrade-ui

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users