Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer?

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#166 Armand Duval

Armand Duval

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

So much thanks to your great freebies list. How about CCleaner and Advanced SystemCare Free in Hard Drive & System Utilities, because both of them are the most popular cleaning & optimization tool.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#167 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 25,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

Because both have registry cleaning elements included. Not to mention the iobit application was embroiled in a dispute with Malwarebytes.

However the registry optimization components alone is enough to preclude their listing per the following:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#168 Elizabeth R

Elizabeth R

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

I have a 2002 Toshiba Satellite Intel Pentium Model A45-S151 that runs XP Home Service Pack 2.  It only has 498MB of RAM.  I can't even run Norton Security b/c of the lack of RAM.  Can this computer be upgraded to run faster?  It has never failed us, and works great.  I just stripped it down a month ago.  The C Drive is 48.8GB and has 24.4 of free space.  The D drive has 11GB and 11 GB free.

Please let me know how I can make this laptop run faster?

BTW....I"ve done the malware removal, etc, and didn't have much.

Thank you
Eizabeth

#169 ts086

ts086

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

I have a 2002 Toshiba Satellite Intel Pentium Model A45-S151 that runs XP Home Service Pack 2.  It only has 498MB of RAM.  I can't even run Norton Security b/c of the lack of RAM.  Can this computer be upgraded to run faster?  It has never failed us, and works great.  I just stripped it down a month ago.  The C Drive is 48.8GB and has 24.4 of free space.  The D drive has 11GB and 11 GB free.

Thank you
Eizabeth

498MB of RAM is not enough ram for the programs that you are now running with XP. I had the same problem and did a google search of the type of ram ( the Manufacture # and the amout of pins) and I was able to get used RAM that would replace what I had with RAM that had twice as much RAM. The cost was about $15 dollars a strip I went from 500MB to 1 gig for about $30.If you have lost the paperwork that went with your PC here is the spec sheets

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/329137/Toshiba-Satellite-A45-S151.html

The sheet shows...you can expand your memory on this pc

TOSHIBA
Satellite® A45 Series
Feature Model(s):
Satellite A45-S151
P4 2800/15.0"XGA/512MB/60GB/DVD-CDRW/Mdm/LAN/Wi-Fi/WinXP Home
Satellite A45-S1511
P4 2800/15.0"XGA/512MB/60GB/DVD-CDRW/Mdm/LAN/Wi-Fi/WinXP Pro
Product Highlights
Performance
Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.80GHz

512MB of Main Memory (Expandable to 2048MB)

I also did a search and you can get a 1 gig RAM for $27.00 for 1 gig ...about what I paid for mine. You have two slots and for $54.00 you can get 2 gigs of RAM and be set for life

http://www.kahlon.com/rm609484_Toshiba_Satellite_A45-S151_A45-S1511.html

Edited by ts086, 14 October 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#170 Elizabeth R

Elizabeth R

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

Thank you
Eizabeth

498MB of RAM is not enough ram for the programs that you are now running with XP. I had the same problem and did a google search of the type of ram ( the Manufacture # and the amout of pins) and I was able to get used RAM that would replace what I had with RAM that had twice as much RAM. The cost was about $15 dollars a strip I went from 500MB to 1 gig for about $30.If you have lost the paperwork that went with your PC here is the spec sheets

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/329137/Toshiba-Satellite-A45-S151.html

The sheet shows...you can expand your memory on this pc

TOSHIBA
Satellite® A45 Series
Feature Model(s):
Satellite A45-S151
P4 2800/15.0"XGA/512MB/60GB/DVD-CDRW/Mdm/LAN/Wi-Fi/WinXP Home
Satellite A45-S1511
P4 2800/15.0"XGA/512MB/60GB/DVD-CDRW/Mdm/LAN/Wi-Fi/WinXP Pro
Product Highlights
Performance
Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.80GHz

512MB of Main Memory (Expandable to 2048MB)

I also did a search and you can get a 1 gig RAM for $27.00 ...about what I  paid for mine. So for $54.00 you can get 2 gigs of RAM and be set

http://www.kahlon.com/rm609484_Toshiba_Satellite_A45-S151_A45-S1511.html

Hi

That's GREAT news!  Thank you so much!  I see that the website you suggested and its in stock.  I'll be honest, I have no idea how to install RAM.  I've only replaced a hard drive on my other laptop.  Any suggestions?

One other problem is that the lid top won't stay up without being propped.  I've looked at the hinges to see where it can be tightened and can't find anything.

Again, thank you

Elizabeth

#171 ts086

ts086

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

I'm sure if you look around you might find a mom and pop store that would install it, might be worth a call to one of the big box stores like Best Buy to see if they would install it. They might even do the whole job....now you know how much the RAM should cost...so if Best Buy can come close have them do it...My replacement was done on a PC and it was easy to do.....Laptops are not my fortay, sorry

Edited by ts086, 14 October 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#172 samanthapark01

samanthapark01

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

This is really helpful...Nice post!

#173 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

If it comes to someone saying that "do it yourself", the caution is making sure it is lined up. Taking the old ones out?  If not & adding to those other slots that are vacant, would mean that a 1st time install of RAM, could be a bit unnerving. But, if you are replacing the whole of it, you'll have an idea, of how it should line up, putting the new modules in. Be careful.

If they are not going in, with that slight nudge, then take another look to make sure they are lined up in the same manner as the ones you took out. I will take the component out & place it in the orientation of how it should go back, from where it came out of. (lettering up, contacts down) take notice of the orientation.

Good luck.

Windows 7 sp1 32 bit

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU  T5750 @ 2.00gHz 2.00 GHz

Ram: 4.00 GB (3.75 GB useable)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

#174 chawlam86

chawlam86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

There are further steps you can do to clean up junk data from your computer.

1. Hold down windows key and press R once this opens up a Run dialog box

2. Type temp and click ok and then select all the files and delete them.

3. Follow step 1 and type %temp% and click ok and then select all the files and delete them.

4. Follow step 1 and type prefetch and click ok and then select all the files and delete them.

5. Follow step 1 and type cleanmgr and click ok and once the scan is finished it will show you the list of files that can be deleted and below that there is a option which says clean up system files click that option and after rescanning is finished check all the files and click ok.

#175 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

Deleting files from the temp folders is fine (after a reboot, since some newly installed programs place files in the temp folder that will run on reboot to complete installation), but deleting files from the prefetch folder serves no purpose at all. The prefetch folder manages itself with no user intervention required.

Admin, Tweaks.com Forums

#176 helpmepc111

helpmepc111

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:40 AM

Computers with Windows XP operating systen and newer operating systems come with several simple utilities, clean and de-clutter your hard drive. Doing so will free it up to access your programs.Disk Check identifies and removes hard disk errors caused by crashes or power failures.

#177 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

Is it recommended to subscribe to Malwarebytes? It did help me here on this forum, as I was nailed by a PUP/malware; nasty bugger it was. It took Malwarebytes & ESTScan to finally kill it off.

A few days later, MWB sent an email instructing me to subscribe, for $24 a year.

Not being a cheapskate, but also knowing that with help from you good folks here at Bleeping computer, I can get educated & clean the crap off myself.

What would be the recommended "tool kit", to keep around & schedule of the different processes, to keep the bugs out?

Windows 7 sp1 32 bit

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU  T5750 @ 2.00gHz 2.00 GHz

Ram: 4.00 GB (3.75 GB useable)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

#178 cat1092

cat1092

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Not to mention the iobit application was embroiled in a dispute with Malwarebytes.

I recall that incident quite well & is why I don't use nor recommend IObit software to others.

Is it recommended to subscribe to Malwarebytes? It did help me here on this forum, as I was nailed by a PUP/malware; nasty bugger it was. It took Malwarebytes & ESTScan to finally kill it off.

A few days later, MWB sent an email instructing me to subscribe, for $24 a year.

Not being a cheapskate, but also knowing that with help from you good folks here at Bleeping computer, I can get educated & clean the crap off myself.

What would be the recommended "tool kit", to keep around & schedule of the different processes, to keep the bugs out?

Newegg is currently still carrying MBAM Pro Lifetime software, good for 1PC. If you're an email subscriber of Newegg, there's an ongoing promo to get it for $15 & was another earlier in the week. Just bought an extra copy for myself.

Cat

My System Specs, as reported by Speccy:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/lNmWzJ3oI1WXuPic4INkxXr

Performance Benchmark by UserBenchmark

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16655

Proud Linux Mint user since 2009.

#179 ts086

ts086

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

I guess you could upgrade to the subscription, but the free version works just fine.....

Another nice program to have is Spybot Search and destroy at http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

Edited by ts086, 13 April 2014 - 02:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users