Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message "cannot Load Operating System"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WDB

WDB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

This is a Sony Viao Laptop. It is not equiped with an integrated floppy disk drive. The CDrom does not work, however it is equiped with an external CDrom. All bios settings have been reset to factory specs but its does not boot XP. always get msg "cannot load operating system" The question is this. It seem the harddrive may have been formated and there is no way to use a startup disk or the recovery cd's to reinstall XP. Is there anything that can be done? Network to another sys, etc. Any ideas? This puzzles me. I am worried that the computer does not recognize the external cd rom and recovery cannot proceed. Infact, I do not know how to install the neccessary drivers for the external cdrom much less installing XP. I want to try everything short of replacing the factory cdrom which broke. (read expensive, prolly can replace it with labor). Any Ideas? Humorous comments expected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:46 PM

Humorous comments expected

Did you hear the one about the....

Welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I need some clarification. How did you reformat the hard drive, I mean, how did this happen?

Are we SURE the hard drive in this laptop still works?

Is the external CD ROM connected via a USB port?

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 19 February 2006 - 05:47 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 WDB

WDB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:44 PM

That is a good question. I have no idea how it was formatted. Yes it is a USB. I think Ill have to get a used integrated drive and see if that works. Note: someone was playing around with it and I am not sure what they did. Bios is fine. Looks as though it was reformatted without the use of the recovery Cd's which I ASSUME would provide the neccessary system files and drivers for the USB peripheral drive to work. No signs that the HD was malfunctioning. I am sure it is reading an empty drive. Ahh... I might just go to Home Depot and buy some table legs. Sell it on Ebay as a $600 Japanese end table. Any brilliant suggest to avoid the cost of buy a new drive would be appreciated. Can set the bios to network but don't no a thing about this. If only it had a floppy. Sheesh.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:11 PM

It is really almost impossible to reformat a hard drive unintentially.

Sony has been known to incorporate a rescue partition on the hard drive which you can access before windows starts by tapping F12 or F8.

If you didn't get a restore disk with the computer it probably has it on the hard drive.

Try it first before you do anything else.

#5 WDB

WDB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:58 PM

Ok. Thanks all. Enthusiast, Ill try it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users