Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Impossible To Uninstall F-secure!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 arielsages

arielsages

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:20 AM

Hi!
Since some days I have a problem with my antivirus F-Secure.
When I rightclick with the mouse on an object on my pc it takes ca 20 sec to open the menu and when i choose the option "scan...for virus" nothing happens. I tried to make a virus-scan but also there when i click on "scan" nothing happens. I thought then that maybe i need to uninstall f-secure and reinstall it (or use AVG instead that i like better) but i dont even manage to uninstall it!!
When i go to the control panel to uninstall it it says "uninstall failed!".
I tried to do it in Safe Mode (F8) but i got the same results there!

What should i do?
I really would like to disintall it! And should i download AVG AntiVirus anyway from the net? Because im afraid i get viruses now when f-secure doesnt really work. Or is it bad to have 2 anti-virus softwares installed together?

I hope you can help me with that problem!
THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

Hi There,

I would try to disable all instances of it from autostarting when you boot your PC. Then restart, and try and remove it. It more than likely would not let you uninstall it because some aspect of it was running.

Press - Windows Key+R - to bring up the "Run" applet, type in "services.msc" (without quotes) to bring up the Services applet. Locate all the listings for F-Secure, Right-Click each one, and choose Properties.

In the drop down menu, change the Startup type: to "Disabled".

You may also want to check this to:

Press - Windows Key+R - for the Run applet, type "msconfig" (without quotes) Under the "Services" and "Startup" tabs, make sure all listings for F-Secure are unticked.

Now you should be able to restart your PC, and Uninstall it.

You can download AVG before the above process, just don't run the installation until you uninstall F-Secure.

Hope This Helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:12 PM

Here is the Support for F-Secure Uninstall.

And here are the current freeware antivirus recommended here...

AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Remember to only install one antivirus and one firewall on your computer at a time. Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 armadiddle

armadiddle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:54 AM

It's true you can disable F-Secure by stopping it from autostarting with Windows, but if you want to totally uninstall it and you get an uninstall failed message in control panel, this worked for me. Make a note of the name of the file the uninstaller says it can't find. (should have a .isu suffix) Then look in the directory where F-Secure is installed (normally in Program Files) and in any of its sub-directories (Common Files is most likely) until you find a file with a .isu suffix. Copy this file into the directory where the uninstaller was trying to find it, and rename it with the name of the file the uninstaller was trying to find. Then go back into Control Panel and try again. If it works, then restart your computer and manually remove the F-Secure folder and sub-folders. It's probably also a good idea to clean the registry with a utility like RegistryFix once you've finished.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:28 AM

Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to do this on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users