Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG isearch taking over my searches

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sybl_a

sybl_a

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

I've been using AVG 2012 free version, Firefox 10 browser for the last several months. I never had any problems with it up until now. While I like the "site advisor" on my links, the iSearch feature is really annoying. I can't make a plain old google search for things anymore--the search engine defaults to AVG isearch. I tried uninstalling the toolbar and disabling the add-on, but it's back on there today. When I type something in, I get really limited results. Is there a way to disable the Isearch without getting rid of site advisor or the rest of the antivirus?

PS my operating system is "Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

AVG uninstall list... http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
I use Avast free and it works fine

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

If the two posted fixes below don't do it for you, read other fixes at the Firefox Help link.

how to remove avg secure search | Firefox Support Forum | Firefox Help
This is how you do it, from the horse's mouth (AVG, whom I emailed with my problem).

proceed as follows to resolve this issue:

1. Click on the AVG logo drop down on the toolbar and then click on Options 2. Once the Options Dialog has opened, click the "Advanced Options" Tab 3. Untick all of the options appearing in this screen, and click OK

Note: To access the Toolbar Options, be sure that the AVG Toolbar is visible in your browser. Click on View -> Toolbars and make sure AVG Security Toolbar is checked.

AVG Forums - AVG Search Replaced Google In Navigation Bar?

And This at the AVG site: Hello Duane Vick,

Please note that AVG Toolbar and Search is optional component and it is possible to choose not to install it.

If it is already installed, please follow FAQ 4334 and FAQ 4369 to remove it.

Thank you

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#4 Celena

Celena

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

http://www.themisteriosos.com/uninstall-avg-antivirus-avg-remover-uninstaller.htm
Hope this link could help you. I personally use Comodo and its best for my pc. i am using it since 3 years, and i havent got any problems yet..

#5 sybl_a

sybl_a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Thank all of you who posted links. I have currently submitted a post to their forums and am in the process of hearing from AVG right now. I tried the FAQ's on how to get rid of the search and the toolbar, but it's still there. Maybe I didn't do something right...Hopefully we get this cleared up soon. I'd hate to quit using them, as I've had a completely clean system for 3 years now...ugh. When I installed the toolbar, I didn't think it was going to be an issue. I've officially learned my lesson.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

You can do a clean install of Firefox.
That requires first running the Firefox uninstaller in Add/ Remove.
Then finding and deleting all files with Firefox or Mozilla in the files names especially your Firefox profile.

Before doing a clean install, backup your bookmarks. Simply back them up to your
desktop or other easily found location.

From reading the posts at the links I posted above, uninstalling AVG will not solve your problem with the toolbar etc.

I would completely uninstall AVG using the uninstall tool provided by AVG and then do the clean install of Firefox.

You do not need any other addon or toolbar to protect you from known infected sites other than what is built into
Firefox. Simply click on the Security tab and make sure the first three items have checks in the adjacent boxes.
I suspect that AVG is using the toolbar to place ads, track you, etc. That is the common thing these days for almost all free programs.
Even some you've paid for.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#7 sybl_a

sybl_a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thank you. I will try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users