Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Consumer Preview Topic

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

So who installed it? I did...uhh now what. I hate metro!

Gonna install it on Acer Iconia Tablet today. Maybe I will like it then.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

Don't bother it's dreadful.
Even worse that DP version

#3 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Tried it. Wanted to test some websites I manage in the new IE that comes with it and found the new browser to be very nice and fast like Chrome.

The OS itself seems like a step in the right direction away from the Dev Preview but it's a teeny tiny baby step :)

I still don't know if I can get used to Windows where some things are in windows (IE) and others dominate my full screen (apps). If it feels confusing to me, I can only imagine how it must feel to an average user (on any given day I work in 4 or 5 different UI's).

Maybe I'd feel a lot better if it had a START button like XP or a Windows Orb like Vista/ 7. I don't mean as a registry hack but as a default install.

James

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,862 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

So who installed it? I did...uhh now what. I hate metro!

Bold is mine.

That makes 2 of us. Traditional start orb GONE. About 4-5 mouse clicks to do...anything. :angry:

#5 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hi Guys

I installed it onto a flash drive but I'm lost as to what to do next. I get to the point where I pick the partition I want to install assuming it would be the flash drive BUT NO. Is there something I am missing?? I entered the product Key and then the destination I assumed was my flash drive is missing. Do I want to pick my C drive? and if so will it cause me to lose anything?

Help is greatly appreciated, Thanks
Tom

#6 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

I plan on installing this on my Archos 9 Windows Tablet tonight.
Posted Image

#7 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

been playing with it. I have it on a desktop but would get better use on a touch screen for sure. A few tiles like the calendar just give me a white screen but I'm sure they will get that worked out. I think I like it, I think it will grow on me LOL
Tom

#8 pivotraze

pivotraze

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

I actually really enjoy it. It is a much more user friendly environment now in my opinion.

Metro really is not all that bad, it actually works really well on a laptop/desktop in the Consumer Preview. I do not miss the start orb the slightest bit.

On a side note.. I mainly installed it to see about metro development. I think I will start :P
Proud user of Windows 7 Ultimate

Developer of: Seafire Suite
Developer of: Pivot: Revolution

System Specs: 4GB Ram, Intel i3-2350M,

MaxxAudio® LE

, 1600x900 17.3" HD+ TruBrite LED Screen , and Intel HD 3000 Graphics.

#9 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

To shut down Win 7 w/classic start menu (Classic shell): Start-->shut down

To shut down Win 8 CP: Spend 5 minutes trying to figure out the annoying UI. Give up. Click on user name, see option to log out, and log out. Spend 5 minutes pondering the situation. Accidentally click-drag the screen and notice that it moves. Move the screen up and see the option to shut down.

Time to do it in Win 7: 2 seconds

Time spent figuring it out in Win 8: 10-15 minutes.

Major. Step. Backward.

#10 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

I think they should include a "User Tour" like they did in Windows Xp. A 15 second video for first time users would acquaint everyone to the new system

Edited by tpm, 02 March 2012 - 09:35 AM.

Tom

#11 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

I have it and really do not like it. I installed it as a virtual machine, and the overall UI is just bad.

Only thing I do like is the new IE-app that you launch from metro UI. That was pretty fast, but I still can't figure out how to get Flash or other plugins installed (maybe the reason why it's so fast is because it doesn't support plugins...).

The "desktop" is so lacking. If they had allowed you to have metro UI >>OR<< a full Windows 7 like desktop it wouldn't have been so bad but the way it is right now gives the desktop no real purpose unless you're using older apps that do not integrate with metro. I'm a huge multitasker and at any one time I may have 15+ Windows open, and I feel working under metro UI would be a NIGHTMARE for me. Especially considering I normally have multiple windows up on the screen at once.

In my opinion, they "dumbed" down Windows way too much. I just wish they'd keep this for tablets only (instead of tablets+desktops), and release a "Windows 8 Desktop Edition" that was like Windows 7.

Edited by NpaMA, 02 March 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#12 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

I just installed this as a virtual machine. I agree with Knight_of_BAAWA. I spent the majority of my time trying to figure out how exit the various Apps and then how to exit windows.

I'll continue to play with it because it's going to get thrust on us eventually.

Regards,
Brooks

#13 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

Well after a spending some time with this and taking it to work so other users can "play" with the new win 8 the split was about 50/50. Personally it will be great on a tablet, touch screen or win phone not so good on a PC with key board and mouse.
But MS will no doubt have a Pro version for business ect and that is what I will be waiting to try.
I will be looking at a tablet this year so win 8 is high on the list for that and I do have an iPhone4 although the ipad just does not do it for me.
MCP
MSDST

#14 hworta

hworta

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

In windows 8 you can go to your desktop and spend all your time in there, its almost just like windows 7 inside the desktop.

#15 technomutt

technomutt

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

After training consumers since 1995 that to do almost anything in Windows means CLICKING START, the deletion of the START button will be the end of Windows and Microsoft's domination of the desktop. Period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users