Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software Restriction Policies - Cannot Remove

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hi.

Basically, there's a software restriction policy on the PC that means I can't run gpedit.msc, Dxdiag, and many other files (Some of which I need to run.)

I've seen many methods of removing the policies. Only problem is, they all use the group policy editor. In short: The group policy editor has a software restriction policy that blocks the group policy editor. I can't figure out how to remove it.

Any help?

I'm running Windows XP Professional on an HP Compaq 6715b, if it helps.
If life gets you down, start tunneling, you might find some juicy dirt on others.

When life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into the other persons eyes!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

Basically, there's a software restriction policy on the PC (Some of which I need to run.)

Hi -
Is this a company or maybe a school computer, and not your own property ?
There are times these restrictions are put on for a reason - The main one is so you cannot alter them -

Why do you need to run these programs ? Usually after the owner programmed them in for a specific reason - -

Thanks -
Edit for spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 26 February 2012 - 09:16 PM.

******************************************* Waiting for a reply ??

Press F5 to Refresh as you may have one waiting************************************************

#3 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

I'm trying to use GPEdit so I don't have to tell Windows every fifteen minutes "No, I don't want to restart for updates now", not to mention that I also can't run Disk Cleanup due to the software policy restriction, since my hard drive is beginning to fill up with crap.

I'm sure you can see how this would be highly annoying.

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2012 - 05:51 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

If life gets you down, start tunneling, you might find some juicy dirt on others.

When life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into the other persons eyes!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

Regardless of how beneficial such might be...if you don't have adequate permissions to access such on a given system...someone has made that decision as a matter of exercising control/responsibility for said system.

We cannot assist you in circumventing such decisions/policies.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users