Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disable script blocking programs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 systemcompromised

systemcompromised

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

I am still working through the prep guide to remove spyware. How do I disable script blocking programs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

"Script blocking programs" refers to your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and other security applications. Most such programs allow the user to temporarily disable part or all of their functionality. Refer to the help documentation for any security applications you have running to learn how to disable them temporarily.

When running specialized tools such as those found in our self-help and help-request preparation guides, it is important that you exit any applications you have running (web browser, e-mail client, music player, etc.) as well as disable any security applications which might interfere with the tools. These tools make use of many of the same methods and techniques employed by malicious software and as a result many security applications detect the tools as threats and block or interfere with them.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.
x.png
Boredom Software Stop Highlighting Things

#3 systemcompromised

systemcompromised
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

So, from the DDS step on, anti virus/spyware programs should be disabled? I started downloading the GMER program and after the zip file was copied to my desktop. I got a warning from my anti- program that a Trojan was detected. Does that have anything to do with the GNER that I downloaded? I wasn't running it yet.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 24 February 2012 - 02:17 AM.
Moved to AII from Windows 7 and removed unnecessary quote. ~ OB

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

Certain embedded files that are part of legitimate programs or specialized fix tools (i.e. GMER), may at times be detected by some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners as a "Risk Tool", "Hacking Tool", "Potentially Unwanted Program", or even "Malware" (virus/trojan) when that is not the case. This occurs for a variety of reasons to include the tool's compiler, the files it uses, whether files are compressed or packed, what behavior it performs, any registry strings it may contain and the type of security engine that was used during the scan. Other legitimate files which may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access for scanning but often trigger alerts by anti-virus software.

Such programs have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized user or administrator has knowingly installed it. When flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program includes features, behavior or files that appear suspicious or which can potentially be used for malicious purposes. Compressed and packed files in particular are often flagged as suspicious by security software because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program. It means it has the potential for being misused by others or that it was simply detected as suspicious or a threat due to the security program's heuristic analysis engine which provides the ability to detect possible new variants of malware. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "false positive". Either have your anti-virus ignore the detection or temporarily disable it until you run the tool.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users