Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel > Indexing & Taskbar icon issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

Good evening,

A few hours ago I just happened to notice an icon resembling a magnifying glass on my Taskbar which is apparently associated with Indexing in the Control Panel.

When I hover the mouse pointer over the Taskbar icon, sometimes it will state, "Indexing Complete." Other times it will say, "Indexing speed is reduced due to user activity."

I have NEVER had this issue occur before and frankly have NO idea what it means, or how to deal with it.

I would appreciate any assistance in ascertaining WHAT this is all about, and how to resolve any problems associated with it!

Thank you.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JerrellT

JerrellT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Have you tried right clicking it and seeing what are you're options? (Like exit, or if you can get any other info.)

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for responding Jerrell!

The image I've attached below shows what is available when right-clicking on the icon.

I'm far from being computer-saavy...so I would be VERY hesitant to go clicking on ANY of the options shown in the screenshot. With MY luck...I'd end up completely disrupting my computer system!

Attached Files

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Hey again Jerrell!

I finally figured out the problem. It seems earlier today, I had been on the Windows Update site and downloaded an "optional" program called Windows Search 4.0. I did a little more checking and discovered other people had experienced this same indexing issue and resolved it by simply uninstalling it.

Everything seems to be o.k.now.

Thanks again for getting back with me!

spc3rd

#5 JerrellT

JerrellT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

No problem, glad to be of any assistance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users