Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with Brother 2270DW

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 phidelt649

phidelt649

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

Hi everyone,

First, as always, thank you for all of your assistance!

I purchased a Brother 2270DW wireless laser printer about three or four months ago and it has performed flawlessly.

In the past two weeks, it has starting acting strangely. Whenever I try to print something, the whole program hangs. When I finally get to the "OK" dialogue, it freezes again while sending the file. I've tried files as small as 2kb and it still does it. Once it actually GETS to the printer, it prints fine and quickly.

I'm running a DLINK DGL-4500 router and a Windows 7 64bit operating system. When I set up the printer, I used the one-touch method.

The only thing program-wise I can even think of that I've added in the time period since it started acting up was PeerBlock, but even shutting that down completely did nothing to alleviate the issue.

What I've tried:

-Going to Printers and removing the Brother, then re-adding it

-Completely removing the Brother driver and software and reinstalling everything

-Pressing the network reset button on the printer itself

-Resetting the modem / restarting the computer

-When I set a different printer (Say, Adobe PDF) as default, the issues disappear, but as soon as I select Brother from the dropdown, they all return.

I'm at my wit's end. When I contacted Brother, they basically said "Doesn't sound like our problem. Contact your network administrator."

Please, any assistance or ideas would be great!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

Just as a test can you do a system restore to before you installed PeerBlock and see what happens.
It may have made some changes that shutting it down do not change.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 February 2012 - 11:30 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

July 79.4

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hi

I don't understand which application is freezing.

What happens when you print a test page?

Go to Printers and Devices
Right click your printer and choose Printer Properties
Press the button that says Print Test Page

Thanks
James

#4 phidelt649

phidelt649
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

System Restore does not change the issue.

As far as the program, it affects all of them.

To back up a bit, I first noticed issues with my computer because my Photoshop was being weird. Files took forever to open and save. A little googling led me to a site that suggested it could be a printer causing it lag out. I changed my default printer and the issue immediately disappeared. The programs affected are: Photoshop, Illustrator, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Reader 9 and Acrobat Professional 8. Anytime I try to print out of those, the program locks up for several minutes and then eventually prints. Like I said, when the Brother is not selected, all programs function normally.

The printer WILL still print, but it lags the program and takes much longer than it used to.

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

Is the printer getting a strong wireless signal from the router?

This might help identify the source of the problem...

I believe that model also has USB ports. Is the behavior the same when plugged in directly to the computer via USB.

If it works better via USB then it is a network issue.

If it still has problems via USB then it is probably a driver issue and you'll need to verify that it is using the latest and correct drivers.

Hope this helps.
James

EDIT: I noticed that model has some enhanced power saving settings. Could it be that it is going into a reduced power mode and when you print to it, it is taking some time to power up and heat up. Laser printers require a certain temperature to be reached in some of their components before they can begin printing. Use the manual to check the power settings on the printer.

Edited by NeverSayDie, 17 February 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#6 phidelt649

phidelt649
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

The printer is on the other side of the room, so I will try the USB thing last.

The printers are up-to-date. I even went to the Brother site and redownloaded the software/drivers and reinstalled.

Hadn't thought of the power save settings, but the problem persists even after the printer has warmed up. IE, I print a document from PDF, then immediately print another one. Program lags on both accounts.

Could you expound on what sort of network issues you believe could be causing this?

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

For the network.

Weak signal or interference from something like an IR extender, cordless phone, TV retransmitter, etc...

Routing problem due to the IP address the printer was assigned (maybe it once belonged to something else the PC is set to connect to).

Printer drivers may talk differently to an IP address port as opposed to a hardwired USB port.

As far as the power issue goes, I don't know if yours has an interface on it that tells you when it is "Warming Up" or "Getting Ready". If it does, then watch that and see if it is displaying that for the period that the program is frozen while possibly waiting for an "Okay, ready to go" response from the printer.

I've had a few service calls for small lasers and I have an HP one myself. The problem I am called to fix is that they blow the circuit breaker every time that you print because the power draw to heat them up is huge. You could also add trying it in another electrical outlet that is on a different circuit than the one you are currently using :) That's a shot in the dark.

It really sounds like the programs are waiting for a response from the printer and any changes made in the program during that wait time could cause corruption or catastrophic failure in some circumstances. So, in order to prevent that from happening, it blocks any user input (freezes) until it is safe.

James

#8 phidelt649

phidelt649
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the headsup. The lights have always flickered when I print from the Brother, but like I said...none of this was an issue until recently. Nothing has/had changed on my network that's why I was looking on the PC-side of things. Will try moving it to a different outlet just for kicks.

#9 phidelt649

phidelt649
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Okay, I'm back again. I installed the drivers for the printer on my laptop and it worked immediately and without any issues. That leads me to believe that it has to be something on my PC that is affecting it and not the network. I've already completely uninstalled and then reinstalled everything related to Brother. I'm officially out of ideas. Anyone?

#10 phidelt649

phidelt649
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

I guess I spoke too soon. In what I thought was an unrelated problem, my Kaspersky had been acting up. Windows recommended that I update to 2012. After doing that, everything with my printer seems to be running normal. I'm guessing that somehow, someway, my Kaspersky was interfering with the printer. Everything works again (for now) and I will update if anything starts to go wrong again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users