Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get windows 7 to reboot after full recovery of the system

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mattk87

mattk87

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hi everyone! I am positng this in the windows 7 forum because my issue is with windows 7 giving me an error message on boot up. If this is actually the wrong board please go ahead and move it.

Okay so this is a bit of a long story...

I started having a google redirect issue on my dell laptop the other day. I though I had taken care of it with malwarebites, but suddenly while I am surfing the net the screen goes completley black and I am faced with a blue screen of death. Can't start anything. Safe mode, system repair, and system restore either freeze or get the same blue screen of death.

I finally end up using the Dell system local backup that is a preloaded recovery tool on their computers, and the two burned recovery discs I made with it when I first got the pc. Using this I restore the PC to its factory setting wiping out my old files and partitions. It works! and I go through setting up windows like the first time. It loads up and is working fine. I load on some anti spyware programs scan my computer, set up the internet, and start updating windows.

Once I dowload my updates and restart my computer the computer will not boot windows. I get a error that goes something like this

Windows failed to start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your langugae settings, and then click next
3. Click "repair your computer."

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I cant get safe mode to work. Basically my only option is to stick my recovery disk back in and repeat a factory fresh recovery and that gets my computer back working, but every time I turn it off I get the boot error. It is frustrating because I can get it to work fine otherwise. Right now I am just putting my laptop to sleep mode but I would like to be able to turn it it off without recovering windows each time!

If you have any ideas that could help me that would be great. I am thinking there is some sort of lingering software/hardware incompatibility or the virus/malware altered something to make the boot up process change. I feel like there is something I could probably do or run in windows to fix this. For awhile I was thinking my hard drive was messed up, but if that was the case I would assume I would not be able to recover windows and load anti virus software on it and have everything be normal, only to not have windows restart. I would appreciate any pointers or help you could give me thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

I would run the Dell Diagnostic partition and let it check everything.

To do that when you power on the Laptop and the Dell Logo appears press F12 and choose boot Diagnostic partition. You might want to wait to do that since if it finds nothing you will have to restore again.

You can also run the Microsoft Windows memory Diagnostic and run a virus scan just in case.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

101 @ September 17

#3 mattk87

mattk87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

The diagnostic results said that everything is fine, including my hard drive. I have ran malware bytes, spybot search and destroy and adaware without getting any results. I also tried a something called karpsky which is supposed to look for rootkits affecting boot up. I haven't had any luck so far.

Do you think any partitioning of my drive might be causing this problem. I took a look at partitions on my computer last time i recovered it showed that there was a recovery partition, a c drive, and a partition that was blank. I noticed the recovery one was labeled active, so I switched to c drive as active thinking this might help, but it didn't.

Anyways, I will keep fooling around with it maybe I will find something. Thanks.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,556 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

There are at least three partitions on newer Dells.
Recovery, Diagnostics and OS, plus I believe Windows 7 also creates a small one too.

You want the largest one to be active as that will be the OS partition.

You can see if any of these help too. This one looks promising.
"Windows 7 Boot Error - Status: 0xc000000e Info: The boot selection failed"
http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=42099

I'm Fixed - 0xc000000e problem!!!

1. First Load Windows RE from Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2
2. Open Diskpart and make problematic partition Active
3. Open bcdedit and you should get something like this:

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {default}
device unknown <===0xc000000e problem!
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Server 2008 R2
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {e0025536-b36d-11de-aadd-ddc0b5870e2c}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice unknown <===0xc000000e problem!
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e0025534-b36d-11de-aadd-ddc0b5870e2c}
nx OptOut
hypervisorlaunchtype Auto

4. Enter these commands:

bcdedit /set {Your-OS-Identifier} device partition=X:
bcdedit /set {Your-OS-Identifier} osdevice partition=X:
bcdedit

Where X: - drive letter with your problematic OS in Windows RE. You can find it by opening notepad and pressing save

5. Reboot

From page 2 working links to unfixed and fixed, Yours may look a little different of course.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58829069@N07/5876679214
http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=42099&page=2
or

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-boot-error-status-0xc000000e-info-boot-selection-failed-because-t2543.html

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 February 2012 - 10:45 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

101 @ September 17

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,883 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

>>>You want the largest one to be active as that will be the OS partition<<<

I beg to differ, on OEM's with recovery partitions in lieu of installation media, the small 100-200Mb partition at the beginning of Drive 0 is the partition that is active as it is the one that holds the Master Boot Record. (see attached shot of my Gateway 7 HP SP1 Disk Mgmt)

[attachment=118867:comp_mgmt.PNG]

Worth reading, IMO: (if you can get to the System Recovery Options booting to the repair disk you mentioned in your OP)

Boot to the System Recovery Options
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html
How to Fix the "Bootmgr is missing" Error in Windows: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/104341-bootmgr-missing-fix.html

Edited by Union_Thug, 11 February 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#6 mattk87

mattk87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thank you for your help guys. I have managed to get my computer up and running and am able to restart it without any problems. The funny thing is I am not a hundred percent sure how I did it.

All I know is I was able to use diskpart in the command prompt and able to make active a partition that allowed windows to boot. It was the smaller of the two partitions excluding the OEM and a couple hundred megs like Union mentioned. I guess it is the recovery partition I am using to boot, and it appears I can still access my c: drive.

I am still worried that if it was a virus that it could still be on my system. Although I am not finding anything with scans. I am also worried that updating windows could mess things up, but I will see how things go...

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,883 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'm glad you got things up & running... I am a bit curious as to how/what you did to fix this...if you do manage to remember/reconstruct your fix, I'd appreciate if you could post back & let us know.

One suggestion, if I may...since you're still concerned that your recent bout of malware may or may not be 100% cured, it may be worth your while to post in the "Am I infected, what do I do?" forum & have one of BC's many excellent Malware Magicians have a deeper look--a second opinion surely wouldn't hurt, no?

Regards,
U_T :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users