Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sock Puppet campaign under way to defame Rkill and BleepingComputer

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

A while back, Rogue anti-spyware programs started terminating executables when you attempted to run them in order to protect themselves and take your computer hostage. Due to this, I created the program called Rkill that can be used to end these malware processes so you can properly run your security programs. From the responses I have received since creating this program, I know its doing a good job and is a lot of help to those who use it.

Lately, I have discovered that its popularity and usefulness have become a threat to certain groups of individuals. This has become evident as sockpuppets have invaded CNET's RKill page where the reviewers attempt to defame Rkill, BleepingComputer.com, and myself. I am a big boy, so I don't really care what they say about me. I put a lot of time into BleepingComputer.com and Rkill, though, and won't sit back without making a response. The reviewers, or sockpuppets, in question are Charles_Buckland, AshleyFrost, and Johnny_Sokko. AshleyFrost and Johnny_Sokko both posted one day from each other and repeated the same things. Whether this person or people are the malware developers themselves or someone with a personal grievance against BC is unknown at this time. What we do know is that they are attempting to spread lies about Rkill and the site.

The nonsense that they write includes:

• Disables your anti-virus protection.
  • Downloads and installs trojans and other malware onto your computer.
  • Allows a backdoor to be created into your computer.
  • Home-made software written by an anonymous author, not an actual company.
  • Identified as being malware by most all major anti-virus programs.

I am not going to even address the first three comments, as they are completely false. As for being anonymous, I use my real name to every one of my posts at BleepingComputer, am a Microsoft MVP in Consumer Security, and have a real address and phone number in the Whois records for BleepingComputer.com. We are also a real company named Bleeping Computer, LLC. As you can see, I am far from anonymous.

For the second comment, I think it deserves some mention. At times Rkill is indeed detected as malware by various anti-virus companies. These detections are false positives and are typically fixed within a few days of contacting them. The reason these false positives occur is due to the fact that Rkill utilizes programs that may be packed, terminate processes, etc. These actions are common characteristics of malware and thus Rkill gets lumped into the same group as them. Unfortunately, this is just the way it is and no matter how legitimate and safe Rkill is, AV vendors will sometimes flag it as malware. The sockpuppets also claim that Rkill is detected by most major anti-virus vendors. I think these Jotti and virustotal reports speak for themselves:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/9bbb8893e6c2dc623553ef88275d4f5b9717bc4b
https://www.virustotal.com/file/b7fc473eb8029ea559315300f953995b126b0e1942762cafca96b80e8d1a4207/analysis/

Do we have some false positive detections, yes, but it's definitely not all the major antivirus companies.

So for those who may have read these reviews and were concerned, do not be. Rkill is a perfectly safe program and you have nothing to fear from it. As for the CNET sockpuppets, I am done with them. They are just wasting too much of my time that I can better use to develop more tools, apps, and content that our visitors can benefit from. I also think the other reviews on CNET far outshine any lies that these people may spread.

Thanks to everyone who supports us!

Lawrence

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

with success comes haters...that is how things work. Keep up the good job man.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Keep fighting the good fight, Grinler. We'll back you up all the way. :thumbup2:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 gringa

gringa

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

I cannot begin to say how many times you and your team have saved my computer. As someone else said with sucess comes the haters.Thank you for all that you and your team do for us.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Grinler forgot to mention that he's also a published author (Winternals Defragmentation, Recovery, and Administration Field Guide) and the technical editor of Rootkits For Dummies.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.
x.png
Boredom Software Stop Highlighting Things

#6 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

I think, Grinler,that your reputation and skills speak for themselves, but It's no surprise that your success scares and threatens these bozos. It was only a matter of time, really. I, for one, am very grateful to you for sharing your tools and your time here at BC. Hold Fast! :)
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#7 CarsonMac

CarsonMac

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

When you're famous, your bound to have followers and Haters. those people are your haters, either envious or just plain stupid.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

When you're famous, your bound to have followers and Haters.

Hate to compare Grinler to Justin Bieber in this case, but... :whistle:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

You just keep on fighting the good fight with us Lawrence!

We support you !!

Bleeping Computer will rise above sockpuppets ;)

Are they doing anything battle wise as we are against malware HEHEHE NOPE is the answer.

Dont go down for ANYTHING. We rule!

#10 T1000

T1000

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Anonymous ? Thanks Lawrence for this site ! I can't count the number of times this site has helped me.I was a Noob just a few years ago and have honed my skills from a lot of the tutorials here.Not too mention the serious Malware infection I had picked -up awhile back that I received help with. I would be Happy to work this from the Backside and give these Folks a Beat Down ! :P Location Please ? :busy:    Just Kidding !     All I can say Grin is   "THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!      IF I can help in anyway I would be happy to do so !      All The Best !
1.) HP Pavilion DV 9230us, 17" Laptop, Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-Bit , Intel Dual Core T5500 1.66 GHz , 100GB Dual HD, 200 GB Total HDD, 2 GB Ram DDR2, WD 1TB external HDD, My Book Essential.

2.) Dell Inspiron 1764 17" Laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, Intel Dual Core i5 2.53 GHz w/Turbo Boost Technology, (3MB cache) Media Graphics Accelerator, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB Ram DDR3, Western Digital 1TB external HDD, My Book Essential.

#11 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 33,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

How pathetic an attack was that?

I wouldn't even have bothered to respond, but then that isn't your style, Lawrence, being anonymous, is it?
[If I have helped you fix your PC then please donate. Thanks
jetian6yw.jpg
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 39,660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

and another one:

http://download.cnet.com/9241-8022_4-11464676.html?messageID=10838609&tag=rb_content;contentBody

These guys just dont give up do they.

#13 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Anyone who knows anything about you and/or this site wouldn't believe that garbage.

#14 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Bleepin Microsoftie Engineer

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 11,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

There will always and always have been people like this willing to post garbage in places without understanding the subject matter. I can say from experience as a programmer who works on things used in security products (including one of the components of RKill) that being a programmer who works on security products doesn't mean that that person knows security all that well...

Billy3
Look buddy, I'm an Engineer, and that means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?" .. 'cause that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy....
GitHub - Twitter
My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)

#15 10 Beers

10 Beers

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

Keep on keeping on!
Some might be taken in by these posts which is why you said this.
I'd like to thank you for your time and effort to do what you do and you do a damned good job.
I'm constrained by the rules not to use profanity, but those idiots can go do soemthing disgusting with themselves, repeatedly.
I'm glad you named names.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users