Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VB Source: IRC Client

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

Decide to release a Raw version of my IRC Client. I released this because i felt all IRC client examples were to swamped in code to allow a new programmer to see the basics of how the connection works or that the connection did not even listen to the server it was connecting to.

Current features are connecting, sending the IDENT response back to the server speeding up connection time(dropped that one again there Andrew ;)), basic handling of JOIN, Part, PRIVMSG etc. This should allow any new programmer to quickly grasp how to handle IRC server events. Can also switch from how a client should look to RAW server data.

Posted Image

One of the main reasons i left it so basic was because new programmers like to keep an existing project and work up from that. Copying and pasting is not programming but i feel a new programmer can keep this base and build up from that with out to much hassle or using an already written client.

The client can be viewed here and the Vb source can be downloaded here

This is only a tiny extract from the original source and may have bugs. Was not tested but should provide you with a good start.

The c# source will follow shortly.

Main client

Posted Image

Edited by ident, 31 January 2012 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Nice work

#3 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thank you Dan. Comments always appreciated :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users