Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't escape from edge.jeetyetmedia.com

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kakamp

kakamp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

I am wondering if I am having a security issue and if so, what is going on and what can I do about it.

I began noticing that when I visited various websites, a screen would cover my entire browsing window and force me to watch an advertisement (I was permitted to skip it and continue on to the web page I was trying to access by clicking a link). It was happening on lots of different websites and frequently on websites that normally don't have advertising, like government websites. I saw the advertisements with two different browsers: Chrome and Firefox. I ran scans with Microsoft Security Essentials, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-Aware, but wasn't able to find and fix anything that stopped the advertisements.

Eventually, I clicked the "About this ad" link at the bottom of one of the advertisements and found out it was from Jeetyet Media. I looked in my cookies and saw that there were several Jeetyetmedia cookies, including ones from edge.jeetyetmedia.com. I deleted all my cookies, but I still kept seeing the advertisements and when I looked in my cookies again, the ones from Jeetyetmedia were back. So then I set Firefox to ask me every time whether I wanted to allow cookies. It turned out that the cookies were being placed when I signed into my gmail account. I have set Firefox not to accept cookies from Jeetyetmedia and I have not seen them come back in my list of cookies. The advertisements have also stopped.

However, now I have begun to notice that whenever I go to google.com, the status bar at the bottom of the browser says that it is connecting to edge.jeetyetmedia.com. I have checked with other people and they say that they do not see that when they go to google.com. I became even more freaked out when I went to pay my credit card online and saw that their website was also connecting to edge.jeetyetmedia.com.

I am not a knowledgeable computer person. From googling, I thought maybe I could prevent my computer from connecting to that website by editing my HOSTS file, which I did, and I am now prevented from purposefully going to that website myself. I am not sure if that was relevant to what is going on. My browser still tells me that I am connecting to edge.jeetyetmedia.com when I go to google.com. I have run the Trend Micro Housecall online scan and it didn't pick up anything.

I have Vista (32-bit). I was using Google Chrome as my primary browser when this problem first started, but now I am using Firefox. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what is going on, if it is something I should be concerned about, and, if so, what I can do about it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Is Firefox affected as well?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 kakamp

kakamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

Yes. To clarify, I was using Chrome as my primary browser until I started seeing the ads. At that point, I switched over to Firefox because I noticed that Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster both had immunization features particular to Firefox, but not to Chrome. Also, I found it easier to figure out how to control my cookies with Firefox than with Chrome. So, everything I did after I ran my anti-spyware programs relates to Firefox. From time to time I open google.com in Chrome just to see whether edge.jeetyetmedia.com is appearing in the status bar of that browser as well, and it is.

Thanks very much for your help.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,311 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Start with reinstalling Chrome.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 kakamp

kakamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Ok. I reinstalled Chrome and it looks good--I don't see jeetyet in the status bar when google.com loads.

I extrapolated from your advice and reinstalled Firefox as well and after that, I didn't see jeetyet in the status bar there either. Problem solved? Good thing for the anonymity of the internet or this would be embarrassing! : )

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,311 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

Good :)

Let me know if anything comes up.....

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users