Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen shuts off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MikeySW

MikeySW

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

Ok, I love the knowledge mongers on this forum. This one I have an idea about but wanted some other opinions on. So mom calls me the other day. Says her laptop keeps shutting off after a few seconds, but keeps running. Which negates the "shutting off". I picked it up and powered it on, and the screen came up with a funny red tinge to it. Reminded me of those really old school CRT TVs that had a red or green cast until it got warmed up. This did the same thing. After it booted up all the way everything had cleared out. Even when it was woke out of sleep mode the screen had a red tinge right before it shut off. That's what is going on, the screen blips off after so long but the whole unit keeps running. She did some research on the 'net about it and found that if she removes the battery and runs it through a power cycle that it will run a little longer before shutting down. Now I have it hooked into my desktop monitor and it runs fine. Eliminating the vid card being an issue. Is this a case of the LCD screen on the laptop going out or is something else here? Maybe a power setting or somethin'?

I appreciate all the help and responses.

Thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

FWIW the last times I saw a reddish tinge on a LCD screen it was a failing backlight. It would either be reddish and go out or reddish tinge and slowly go white as it warmed up.

This information does of course apply to LCDs with Flourescent backlights, LCDs with LED backlights are a different thing.

Easy to tell if there is a inverter under the screen then it is a Flourescent backlight.
No inverter then it is a LED LCD.

See if the plastic bezel under the screen gets warm with use. That is where the inverter is.

I would not expect this to be a Inverter issue as with solid state electronics failed is failed as a general rule. Flourescents can do funny things until they warm up.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

July 79.4

#3 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Yeah, a failing backlight, or a loose cable, although the red tinge does indicate more towards a failing CFL.

#4 MikeySW

MikeySW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

This is what I thought. I gave it back to her and gave her some options: 1) Get a cheap flat screen monitor and plug it into it. 2)Get a new laptop and give me your old one. She opted for the former.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users