Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD at startup: STOP: 0x0000007E kdcom.dll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Leo3378

Leo3378

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

I'm running a Windows XP Dell Inspiron E1505 with SP3 installed. I had it off for about two days and when I went to start it I am getting a Blue Screen. I believe I may have put it into standby mode as I didn't expect to be away for it so long, the battery on my laptop died so I had to plug it in when I went to boot it up. Not sure if that is relevant but I figured I'd include it as other times I have used standby for only a few hours or even a day and I had no problems. It does boot in safe mode.
When I started it I got a BSOD with the following stop errors:
***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF78DA15E,0xF7924864,0xF7924560)

*** kdcom.dll - Address F78DA15E base at F78D9000, DateStamp 4ed8a0bd

Steps I have already taken (all of which were in Safe Mode):
I have attempted a System Restore, no difference.
I have attempted to boot from last working configuration, no difference.
I have run registry cleaners: CCleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner, no difference.
I stumbled across this website: http://www.fastdllfixes.com/dll-fixes/kdcom-dll-errors-fix-how-to-repair-kdcom-dll-blue-screen-errors-on-your-system/ and attempted to follow their Step 3. After trying to run the command: regsvr32 KDCom.dll I receive the following window:
RegSvr32 LoadLibrary("kdcom.dll") failed - Invalid access to memory location.
I decided not to download this websites recommended registry cleaner as I already tried to run two different ones with no improvements.

I appreciate any response!

Edited by Leo3378, 23 January 2012 - 04:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Leo3378

Leo3378
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Dell Inspiron E1505. Sorry I forgot that, the original post has been edited to include the make and model.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

FWIW: MS Says

<<I have run registry cleaners: CCleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner, no difference.
I stumbled across this website: http://www.fastdllfixes.com/dll-fixes/kdcom-dll-errors-fix-how-to-repair-kdcom-dll-blue-screen-errors-on-your-system/ and attempted to follow their Step 3. After trying to run the command: regsvr32 KDCom.dll I receive the following window:
RegSvr32 LoadLibrary("kdcom.dll") failed - Invalid access to memory location.
I decided not to download this websites recommended registry cleaner as I already tried to run two different ones with no improvements.>>

Those were wrong moves, IMO.

I suggest you try the MS guidance, but I think you really need to do a repair install of your O/S and check carefully for infection.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 January 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#5 Leo3378

Leo3378
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

Would you be able to post a link to download a repair install for windows XP that I can rip to a disk? Will a repair installation cause any possible loss of data? I plan on backing stuff up with safe mode tonight, but I just want to know what I am getting myself in to. Thank you

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hi

Do you have the XP CD? If so, try...

starting in Safe Mode
Start > Run > type in the box

sfc /scannow

and click OK it may ask you to insert your CD and proceed to try to fix broken system files.

Here is a thread about it...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Repair installs for XP have become tricky because of Service Packs and IE 7/8 upgrades that need to be dealt with before doing a repair install. It's a risky proposition.

As a programmer, I know what your error is about and it is far more complex than just something wrong with the file mentioned.

kdcom.dll is used by many things and it could be a problem with any of those other files causing kdcom.dll to try to access an incorrect memory address.

If you do not have an XP disc or sfc /scannow does not help then you should back up all of your important data such as pics, docs, email, internet favorites, etc... to another drive or USB stick before proceeding with the other options.

Hope this helps,
James

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Unfortunately...Dell doesn't seem to provide any documentation on your system, other than a repair manual.

If that laptop came with CDs, then you need to examine those CDs and your owner documentation for how you might be able to use such to do a repair install or run the sfc /scannow command (the two are supposed to yield approximately similar results).

Anything, at any time...might cause loss of data. But, a repair install generally does not involve such.

FWIW: Did it occur to anyone to suggest running the Dell Diagnostics on your system, to rule out possible hardware problems? If not, I would do that before attempting anything else.

Louis

#8 Leo3378

Leo3378
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Alright thank you both for your input. I will attempt to run the Dell Diagnostics. But I do not believe I have any CDs. I will probably just try to do the sfc /scannow command. Just to make sure I know what I am putting into the command prompt it is "sfc /scannow" that includes the space after the c and before the / correct? Thank you again. Also must I have the CD to run the sfc /scannow? As I said I doubt I have it. Is there any link you can point me to that may have a Windows XP disc image so I can download that and then rip the file to a blank cd?

Edited by Leo3378, 23 January 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

Louis is right, you should run the Dell Diagnostics first. The command that I gave you to run often requires the CD (sometimes the files are copied from another directory or a hidden partition on Dells).

Do you know how to run the Dell Diagnostics? Usually, when you boot the computer you quickly press F12 when the Dell logo is displayed.

James

#10 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

Just to reinforce what Hamluis said, do not use Registry Cleaners they can do more harm than good. Any problem with the Registry needs to be diagnosed and fixed using much safer methods.

If the Dell diagnostics comes up clean then try this.

Boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Type in chkdsk c: /r (type a space either side of c: and replace c: if Windows is on a different partition) and hit the enter key, answer "Y" to the following question and then type Exit, hit Enter and then reboot. The disk check should then run on reboot. It may take a while to complete and may appear to freeze which is normal, let it complete, it could take over an hour depending on the size of the hard drive.

When complete it should boot into Windows, let us know what happens.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

FWIW, regarding running sfc /scannow command: How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Louis

#12 amwoman

amwoman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

I ran into the same problem on my XP machine. Running the chkdsk command resolved the problem...at least temporarily. Time for an new PC!! Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

#13 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

Rootkits can cause kdcom.dll crashes.Checking for malware should be the first step.

#14 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hi Leo3378 ,

My name is Debbie.

The 0x0000007e error is a kind of 'blue screen' error, which typically restarts your machine randomly, and it will eventually offer you a message and also details on the famed blue screen of death.

The causes of the 0x0000007e error usually are various. Although the key causes are usually the wrongly downloaded programs, viruses, obsolete drivers, BIOS issues and registry issues.

To work around this issue, follow these steps:

Method 1

1. Restart your computer in safe mode.
2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm
4. In the right pane, right-click the Start entry, and then click Modify.
5. In the Value data box, type 4, and then click OK.
6. Exit Registry Editor.
7. Restart your computer

Now check that this error has been fixed

Method 2

To work around this issue, run the recovery console by using the Windows XP CD. Then, select the recovery option. To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disk or from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk in the floppy disk drive. Or, insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive. Then, restart the computer.

Note If you are prompted, click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot computer or a multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the administrator password.

Note Press ENTER if the administrator password is blank.
5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
Disable intelppm
6. To exit the Recovery Console and to restart the computer, type exit at the Recovery Console command prompt, and then press ENTER

Please reply in case you have any questions.
Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary spam notations - Hamluis.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 08:25 PM.
Removed additional spammy content. ~ OB

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

#15 PCCom

PCCom

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

Thank you Deb method 1 worked perfectly using a bart cd with regedit. Allowed me to boot up the pc. Now to be rid of the Malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users