Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't restore to factory settings I

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mattie33393

mattie33393

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have a dell Inspiron n7010 and im trying to reformat my computer. I backed up all my personal files into an external hdd. However when I try to restore my laptop to its factory settings, I get stuck. Upon booting up my computer I press f8 to get into the advanced boot menu. From there I select system repair but after selecting that, it always gets stuck at windows is loading files. It doesn't look my computer is loading anything either and it doesn't make sounds as of it were. Can anyone help me? I don't have my windows 7 installation cd with me which is why I'm doing it this way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:46 AM

What options are shown on Advanced menu other than system repair? I believe the options are self explanatory. Have you tried creating Recovery discs first just in case?

Tekken

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,909 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

>>>What options are shown on Advanced menu other than system repair? I<<<

Using the "F8" key method gives you this:

[attachment=117540:1resore.PNG]

After selecting Repair & before the individual options windows needs to "load files"--which is where the OP gets stuck...

[attachment=117541:2restore.PNG]

#4 mattie33393

mattie33393
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Yeah that's what happened. I just talke to sell and they're sending me the installation discs for windows 7. Will it fix this way?

#5 calkid

calkid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

Dells are known for this, do you have more than one partition? Also, did you update to an SP1 pack? If so add/remove those first and then do what you're already doing and it should work. If the PC came with an OS without a service pack then it will not return to factory settings.

#6 mattie33393

mattie33393
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

How do you add sp1? I just got it through Costco so everything was pre installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users