Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse won't "double click".

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 redclayhd

redclayhd

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

Have had new computer for a few months. Mouse worked fine until a few days ago. Will open some things by "double click" and some things I have to right click and open. I installed a new mouse and have same problems. Haven't changed anything or installed any new hardware or software recently. I have my big hammer and safety glasses handy in case no one gives me a suitable solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Can you discern any pattern to what will open with a double-click and what won't? Will a program that opened with a double-click later require a right-click (or vice-versa)?

For a program that you have to right-click, can you also open the program by left-clicking it once and pressing Enter?

Also, check your mouse 'double-click speed'. Click the start orb and type in mouse and press Enter. Adjust your double-click speed slider to the left by a few notches and retest. Report your findings in your next reply.

Edited by LucheLibre, 20 January 2012 - 03:52 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 redclayhd

redclayhd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

First of all, thank you for responding. I had already adjusted the double-click speed and it didn't help. Also, it doesn't seem to work "left-clicking it once and pressing enter". My wife checked with the "computer guru" with the school system she works for and she may have found a solution to the problem. I'll let her look at it tonight b/4 I take over and do anything else. Thanks again, Tim.

#4 redclayhd

redclayhd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

OK. I'm back. My wife's fix didn't solve the problem. She ran some anti-Malware program or something. Apparently the problem has to do with software or something. It wasn't the mouse. I installed a new one. I changed the mouse settings with no luck. I read something somewhere about updating drivers. I'm just not a computer person and don't really know what I'm up against. Help! Tim.

#5 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

The fact that some programs aren't responding to the enter key says that some other process or registry entry is interfering.

Let's start simple. Please attempt this fix from MS first.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505#LetMeFixItMyselfAlways

Edited by LucheLibre, 23 January 2012 - 07:25 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#6 Pumtang

Pumtang

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hi there, ive just had a similar problem to your own and after scrolling the forums resolved it. Symptoms included
-Could not double click desktop items
-Could not access drop down menus (e.g bookmarks in browsers)
-Could not close (x out) of windows simply, had to double click.
-Erratic location of mouse clicks in games and programs.
-Some buttons/click point not responding at all in browsers and programs
-etc.

After trying system restores, anti viruses, ma-awares, adjusting system setting, and updating drivers nothing seemed to work.
After running my last reboot from updates (double clicks still not working) and went into vista (control panel/device manager/"mouse option") and found that there were TWO devices listed. They seemed to be duplicates. I uninstalled one of the devices and its seems to have SOLVED my problem.
I don't know if it was just this or all of the above that fixed my pc, but its working great; and was probably happy for the spring clean.
hope this helps!

Tang

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users