Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Mssg. Unable To Create 3d Scene

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 manta

manta

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:44 PM

Hi, i'm new to this forum & want to warn all, my computer knowlege is very limited so i need very basic instructions(just don't want to frustrate the heck out of anyone) anyway, my problem is i am unable to run a game i previously had been able to, with error message stating "unable to create 3d scene" I have downloaded directx9, ran dxdiag, states no problem found, but also states 3dfunctionality unavailable & check that i have most current driver. my video card is intel® 82845g/gl/ge/pe/gv, went to site & downloaded most recent driver,still no help.have since tried to download other games that require 3d card & same error message occurs.could I have somehow corrupted the 3d function? also how do you tell if you have a pci or agp card? any help ,suggestions would be most appreciated,thx.note: i have a dell dim.2400, windows xp home sp2,2.80ghz pentium4, 256mbram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:31 PM

Your video controller is integrated and shares the memory of your system.
The more programs you have running in the background, the less memory is available for the video/graphics controller.

How much RAM do you have? The 2400 is limited as to how much it can have. It has only two RAM slots.

Here is a diagram of the motherboard in the Dell 2400:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...m_en/techov.htm

It looks like it does not have an AGP slot so if you were to replace the video/graphics card it would have to be a pci type.

If your 3d aps used to run and no longer do you can stop some of the programs you have running in the background from starting when you boot the computer, but be very careful not to disable your firewall, anti-virus ap and anti-malware aps as well as anything Windows requires to operate.

What AV program are you using? Some use much more resources than others and your problem may well be be lack of enough RAM.

If the aps (games or other graphics intensive aps) you are using do not require being online, disconnect your computer from the internet and temporarily exit your AV ap. Stopping programs like Instant Messengers, shutting off your wallpaper, disabling active desktop if you are using that, etc, will help in that doing so will make more ram available to your system and the graphics aps you are trying to use.

Let us know if that helps.

#3 manta

manta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

thx. for your reply, have tried using off line, still same error mssg. have 256mhz. ram. as i was able to run this program before without any problem, while on line & with other programs running I can't help but feel something is wrong with my system that wasn't before.could it be that my video card does not support the latest directx & should I try to co back to an earlier version?

#4 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:21 PM

You could check the amount of shared memory available for video. Some games can't run if find less than 32 MB.

#5 manta

manta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:00 AM

I know i'll sound dumb here, but how do you check for that?

#6 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:48 PM

I think you have to enter BIOS configuration to find it out. Not sure where exactly is in Dell's computers (don't have one at hand right now), but it's usually located in "Advanced" options. Also, at start, if you know you have 256MB, and the system reports 192, it means 64 are shared.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users