Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Drive Not Working

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:14 PM

Hi y'all!

This issue is on a Dell Dimension 4500S, XP Home.

The CD burner is not working, or at least not reading CD's and does not respond. After inserting a CD of any type (music, program, data backup) the drive spins up, but then does nothing. Going to My Computer shows the drive, but it never shows the name of the CD that is currently in it. Right clicking on the CD drive gets an error message that "Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down". After sending an error report to MS, the 'info on error' that comes back from MS is that there is a virus that has caused a codec corruption.

This computer has Norton A/V, fully updated, scanned regularly. It currently comes up clean, however it is possible that there has been a virus on this computer in the past, as I am not entirely sure of it's history.

What I have done so far: Replaced the CD drive, no difference. Currently the CD is on it's own controller, and the HD on another, so I put the CD on the HD controller as a slave. No difference.

Any other ideas for me? Thanks so much, gang!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:33 PM

Look in your device manager in sound, video and game controllers and see if there are any yellow or red warning marks there.

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 February 2006 - 01:34 PM.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Enthusiast. Everything is ok in Device Manager. The CD Player is working normally according to it.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:28 PM

The optical drives should not be on the same IDE controller with hard drives.

Did you get an installation disk with the cd drive?

Even though the device manager showed it was working, did you try the troubleshooter?

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:34 PM

I did not get any installation disk with the drive. This is a new Samsung CD burner that I have installed on many other XP machines with no problems, no disk or driver installation needed before.

I went through all of the steps with the troubleshooter. Ended up with "The Troubleshooter cannot help you with this problem".

The reason I put the CD on the same controller as the hard drive is to test if maybe there was a problem with the controller that the drive was originally installed on. It does not matter which controller it is on, same issue.

I thought about doing a sfc /scannow, but hard to do this without a working CD drive. Hmmmm. <scratches head>
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:29 PM

If the cd will read but not burn, it will read the disk.

If it will neither read nor burn it might just be defective.

Is the jumper set properly (master or slave)?

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:48 PM

Yes, the jumper is set correctly. master when it is on it's own controller, and for a while I had it set as a slave when it was on the HD's controller. Now I have switched it back to it's own again.

It is a bit puzzling.

Just now it decided to work and read a CD and autostarted, I removed the CD, put in a different one, and it will not read this one. I double checked that this CD burner is on the hardware list from Microsoft, and it is.

I do have other known good drives here. I will now try replacing the drive with yet another one, just in case the one I am trying to use was defective out of the box.

I appreciate your help and ideas.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:07 PM

I have replaced the drive with yet another brand new one, this time a DVD/CD combo drive. Windows sees it in My Computer as it is listed as a DVD drive. I put in a CD and the icon changed and said "CD". I double click on it and it shows the CD is empty, but I know that it is not. If I right click on it (in an attempt to get to 'explore') I still will get the error message "Explorer has experienced and error and must shut down". Once again I sent in the error report to MS and they respond with 'the problem is caused by a virus'.

I am currently running different virus scans as per the preparation guide on Bleeping Computer for a HJT log posting, and will let you know if anything has been found. So far all clean...
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#9 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

I had a problem like this a while back. A slim chance but try this : Device Manager > IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers > Primary IDE Channel > Transfer Mode > Make sure 'DMA if available' is applied (not PIO).

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:45 AM

Make sure 'DMA if available' is applied (not PIO).

Thanks. It was already set on DMA if available, but thanks for the idea.

Other things I have tried thus far: New Cable (no difference). Virus scans: Online Bit Defender found bagle.w@mm and removed it as well as klez.h@mm and removed it. All other scans come up clean. No difference.

I put a Windows CD in the drive and rebooted, and the computer booted to the cd, which in my mind eliminated the drive itself, the cable, the BIOS, and the motherboard.

Seeing how the CD drive was working if booted to, I did a Repair reinstall of Windows (by selecting R at the second opportunity). I had to reinstall the video driver after the repair install so I inserted the driver CD, and the CD Drive still would not work. So, I downloaded the driver, it installed just fine, and I am back to where I started.

Any other ideas before I nuke this box and start over? Thanks for any and all suggestions!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

It seems you have tried everything but the motherboard and a full, new install of Windows!

Will a dvd play on it?

Edited by Enthusiast, 12 February 2006 - 02:25 PM.

#12 Silly Burrito

Silly Burrito

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:44 PM

I've had this happen before, and it was a pain to figure out. Try this:

Run RegEdit (Start, Run, Regedit) and remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then just reboot your computer.

I've done this two or three times on various people's computers, and as soon as I removed it, the CDs sprang back to life!

#13 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:49 PM

Too bad you did not answer this thread 20 minutes ago! I am in the middle of formatting the drive.

BTW, welcome to Bleeping Computer!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#14 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:26 PM

UPDATE:

I reformatted :thumbsup: and reinstalled Windows. All is well. I still am not sure of the exact cause of the initial problem. Why do I feel like such a failure when I reformat? But it sure was a quicker solution that continuing to search for the answer and not find it.

Thanks to all for your help!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users