Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webroot and Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:26 AM

Hi,

I have been helping someone with their computer and found that not only do they have Webroot Antivirus/Antispyware on it, they have Windows Defender running.

It is my understanding that Defender is just an antispyware program so this person should keep Webroot on it for the antivirus and not have Defender running. It appears that Defender is running all the time and I cannot find how to make it not do that. I have found the folder for Defender but it does not have a file that is an .exe in it and it is not in the Windows Start menu so I cannot even figure out how to open it to check it out. I am thinking that maybe the .exe file for it is in the Windows folder but I have not been able to check it out, does anyone know?

The only way we even figured out Defender was on there was from a notification from Windows in the taskbar cautioning about running 2 spyware programs. I was able to open it from the notification bubble but unfortunately I didn't have time then to check it out. We just let it run a scan figuring I would be able to check it out later, but the owner of the computer shut the computer down after the scan and now there isn't a notification thing to click on.

Can anyone tell me how to open Defender?

Has anyone used Webroot or Defender and have an opinion on them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:15 AM

Honestly, you can leave Defender alone. Though it's completely useless, it doesn't conflict with anything. I've had it for years. The history of Defender is it was a good product that Microsoft bought and then proceeded to remove the teeth from the product and render it ineffective. So you can keep it and ignore it.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,400 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

It is my understanding that Defender is just an antispyware program so this person should keep Webroot on it for the antivirus and not have Defender running

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Terminator, etc. will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and the others as stand-alone on demand scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware.

Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-malware database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections. Further, each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

If using multiple real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc.) together at the same time, there can be conflicts as a result of the overlap in protection. These conflicts are typical when similar applications try to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. They may identify the activity of each other as suspicious and produce alerts. Further, your anti-virus may detect suspicious activity while anti-malware programs are scanning (reading) files, especially if it uses a heuristic scanning engine, regardless if they are running in real-time or on demand. The anti-virus may even detect as threats, any malware removed by these programs and placed into quarantined areas. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts or false alarms that continually warn a threat has been found if the contents of the quarantine folder are not removed before beginning a new security scan. Generally these conflicts are more of an annoyance rather than the significant conflicts which occur when running two anti-virus programs in real time.

It appears that Defender is running all the time and I cannot find how to make it not do that

The version of Windows Defender included with all versions of Windows 7 and Vista is part of the operating system so it cannot be uninstalled. However, you can disable or turn it off.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 Greg Davis

Greg Davis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Hi Stang,

This is Greg from Webroot Support.

Windows Defender is a very basic security program that is included with the Windows OS. It is possible to stop Windows Defender from loading at Startup if you prefer. If you Google it, you will find instructions on how to do so for your version of Windows.

Windows Defender is certainly not as effective as Webroot SecureAnywhere which is the smallest, least resource-intensive and fastest security application on the market today. Unlike traditional antivirus programs that rely on the constant download of definition files, SecureAnywhere uses a revolutionary approach to computer security by leveraging our ever-growing cloud database, along with behavioral analysis to protect your PC against even the latest threats. The cloud database allows for us to quickly identify and block threats to all of our uses in near real-time.

The advice that quietman7 posted about the “general rule” of using more than one active antivirus product at the same time is true. Although Webroot SecureAnywhere by itself provides solid protection against Viruses, Spyware, Worms, Rootkits, Keyloggers, Trojans and Adware, the architecture of our new products allows for other security products to work alongside SecureAnywhere without conflict. To back this up, we have performed extensive testing with SecureAnywhere installed other security products.

I hope this clarifies things for you but if you have any questions, please let me know and I would be happy to answer them.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi,

I have been helping someone with their computer and found that not only do they have Webroot Antivirus/Antispyware on it, they have Windows Defender running.

It is my understanding that Defender is just an antispyware program so this person should keep Webroot on it for the antivirus and not have Defender running. It appears that Defender is running all the time and I cannot find how to make it not do that. I have found the folder for Defender but it does not have a file that is an .exe in it and it is not in the Windows Start menu so I cannot even figure out how to open it to check it out. I am thinking that maybe the .exe file for it is in the Windows folder but I have not been able to check it out, does anyone know?

The only way we even figured out Defender was on there was from a notification from Windows in the taskbar cautioning about running 2 spyware programs. I was able to open it from the notification bubble but unfortunately I didn't have time then to check it out. We just let it run a scan figuring I would be able to check it out later, but the owner of the computer shut the computer down after the scan and now there isn't a notification thing to click on.

Can anyone tell me how to open Defender?

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,780 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:02 AM

Thank you everyone.

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed info on these programs.

#6 White_Zombie

White_Zombie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

The only Anti-Virus company worse than Webroot would be McAfee. I wouldn't use it. Personally I use Avira with all the virus detection options selected. It's better than AVG and Avast so it's the BEST FREE option in my opinion. As for Non-Free Anti-Virus Kaspersky is pretty good.

#7 ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

I have been using Webroot SecureAnywhere 2012 for about 4 months now and like it, runs fast! :thumbup2:

I also have licenses to Malwarebytes (MBAM) so on all 3 of my computers I run WSA Essentials and MBAM Pro.

The New Webroot SecureAnywhere is 100% better then the old Webroot Products.

"The world is full of nice people…… If you can’t find one, be one." :) 

Karma what goes around comes around. Keep your circle ‘Positive’.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users