Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot into Windows 7: Boot critical file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vmbus.sys is corrupt

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 trilbyfish

trilbyfish

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

When i boot up my computer it doesnt reach the user login screen before it loads of startup repair. It looks for a fix but it doesnt find one. In the diagnosis the only error it shows is 'Boot critical file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vmbus.sys is corrupt'. I have booted kaspersky repair disk and run a full scan which found no viruses or malware etc. From the startup repair window i have tried a system restore which had the same problem when attempting to boot. I can only access the system recovery options screen.

I am running windows 7 32bit, and i dont have a windows 7 disk but do have the windows 7 32bit iso file that i used to install windows 7.

I would be grateful for any help to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

but do have the windows 7 32bit iso file that i used to install windows 7

so burn the win7 iso to dvd and see if you can boot to it and run the repair

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

aug 2014, last week this young man lost his life in a single car accident on his way to work ,so sad

#3 trilbyfish

trilbyfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

I'm guessing i will need the product key? Is the any way to find the product key like i would normally be able to do from the control panel if it could boot normally?

If i did the repair install, would i lose all my files?

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

sorry ,sounds like you are using a bootleg copy of windows ,we do not offer help with bootleg copys of windows

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.

aug 2014, last week this young man lost his life in a single car accident on his way to work ,so sad

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

<<...sounds like you are using a bootleg copy of windows...>>

Not necessarily, IMO.

<<Is the any way to find the product key like i would normally be able to do from the control panel if it could boot normally?>>

I see none that don't involve using software which is legal, free, and supports Win 7...but there may be a way via a linux distribution.

http://www.howtogeek.com/64600/how-to-recover-windows-and-software-keys-from-a-broken-computer/

Louis

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

<<...sounds like you are using a bootleg copy of windows...>>
Not necessarily, IMO.

agreed ,i may have miss jugded ,but i put the looking for the key and using a iso file to install it ,if im wrong i apogilize

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

another avenue also involving linux

extract file from your ISO
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/42776-extract-files-windows-7-installation-dvd.html

boot PC using a linux distro like Damn Small Linux
include the needed file on the boot CD or flash drive and copy it to your C:\Windows\system32\drivers directory

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

<<agreed ,i may have miss jugded ,but i put the looking for the key and using a iso file to install it ,if im wrong i apogilize
hamluis>>

No apology necessary.

No one has to be "wrong"...whenever there is merely a difference of opinion in the way that two different individuals see anything. I find it somewhat remarkable when any two persons agree on their individual interpretations of anything.

Accident reporting by "witnesses" has proven that :).

Louis

#9 akwe-xavante

akwe-xavante

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Take out hard drive.

Place in another computer as a slave drive, note the drive letter that it's given for the partition that windows is installed on. (There may be more than one partition)

Download ProduKey, extract contents to desktop.

As admin run a dos box, change directory to the location of ProduKey, your desktop then run the following command where X is the drive letter of the partition that your OS is installed on (NOT DRIVE C).

ProduKey.exe /regfile X:\windows\system32\config\software /stext C:\results.txt start notepad.exe C:\results.txt

Click on File then Print.

Oh and whilst you have access recover everything from it you want to recover.

Job done

Edited by akwe-xavante, 17 January 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#10 trilbyfish

trilbyfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

I tried extacting the files from the ISO and using Produkey to extract the key, and it didnt find anything. I also tried copying the system 32 config files from the broken computer onto a usb and then running Produkey to find the key, but that didnt return anything either, which is a puzzle. The broken computer in question is a laptop, so i cant really take out the hard drive (should have mentioned that before). I will try copying the system file from the iso and replacing it with the corrupt one on the broken laptop, and if that doesnt work ill try the repair install. At the moment i am backing up stuff to a usb then this comp in case it all goes horribly wrong. Does anyone know how to access the google chrome profile data from the notepad file explorer? When i go to c:/users/username/ there isnt an AppData folder, just Documents and Desktop etc. I'm gussing its got something to do with seeing hidden files and folders, but im not sure and would like to backup a few things from the appdata folder if i could access it. Not sure if something like this this would work?

#11 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

The broken computer in question is a laptop, so i cant really take out the hard drive (should have mentioned that before).

What is the manufacturer and model of the laptop?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Many laptops have the product key on a sticker affixed to the underside of the laptop. Usually, it is near the manufacturers label with the model and serial numbers on it. The label says "Proof of License Certificate of Authority Microsoft". Under the barcode it should say Product Key followed by the product key.

James

#13 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

to view AppData folder
you will have to go to Control Panel --> Appearance and Personalization --> Folder Options
view tab
check - show hidden files and folders
click Apply
you should now be able to see the folder

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,779 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

The broken computer in question is a laptop, so i cant really take out the hard drive (should have mentioned that before).

All laptop hard drives are removable. Some easier than others.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

120 @ December 3

#15 trilbyfish

trilbyfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

to view AppData folder
you will have to go to Control Panel --> Appearance and Personalization --> Folder Options
view tab
check - show hidden files and folders
click Apply
you should now be able to see the folder

Is there a way to do that from the recovery environment, such as a command in the command prompt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users