Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I HAVE BEEN SPAMMING PEOPLE

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

I don't know whether to be angry, hurt, worried or what.

I have had an email address for 5 years at inbox.com and when I tried to access it yesterday I found I had been blocked for violating my agreement with them.

News to me. So I wrote to them and asked them what I did in violation of the terms of usage.

Thoroughly shocked when they said I had been doing some major spamming and I certainly have not. I don't have time to do spamming major or otherwise.

The REALLY SUCKY THING is that I had a lot of pictures and some written docs stored there and now they tell me it absolutely cannot be restored and so I am SOL>

I feel like I got convicted without a trial. This disturbs me a lot.

Isn't there something where people can do remote spamming using your computer..... How would I know if that was happening wouldn't I be able to tell.

I really didn't like inbox.com all that well for a lot of things because with each and every mail you had to go through several steps on each email to see HTML Anyway - how do I find out about the REMOTE spamming because something / someone is definitely screwed up. Aaack!!!:woot:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:07 AM

I think you'll find that most users' email is hacked from time to time through no fault of their own. When it happened to me a year and a half ago, it was the result of gawker.com being hacked. I changed my password and the problem ended.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:30 AM

If you are reasonably sure that your computer is malware-free, then the explanation lies elsewhere. If you posted your E-mail address on the internet, it could have been harvested by spambots that then use it to send out spam. If your E-mail address resides on another's computer that has become infected, again it could have been used from that computer to send out spam.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

I think you'll find that most users' email is hacked from time to time through no fault of their own. When it happened to me a year and a half ago, it was the result of gawker.com being hacked. I changed my password and the problem ended.

Which password? Your computer password or your email password. I have several different email accounts that I use for different reasons, i.e. One for projects I'm working on, one for animal rescue issues, one for personal.

How did you find out you were "spamming" and what happened to your email address? Was it closed as well?

Edited by kcsummer, 15 January 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

If you are reasonably sure that your computer is malware-free, then the explanation lies elsewhere. If you posted your E-mail address on the internet, it could have been harvested by spambots that then use it to send out spam. If your E-mail address resides on another's computer that has become infected, again it could have been used from that computer to send out spam.

Maybe you can help me understand this better. The email service (inbox.com) closed my email Forever according to them because they said I have been spamming.

How would they have come to that conclusion that I was spamming? I used to use SpamCop I believe was the name but its been awhile but I'm thinking it must have been through such a service. So the spam must have my my IP Address.

So I have heard that it is possible for spammers to remotely use a computer (and subsequently an email address) to send out spam but I do not know if that is actually so.

I do I find out if I am malware free? I have my firewall active and AVG anti-virus software.and McAfee Security Scan Plus. I haven't had any "issues" with my computer other than a poorly performing WP system. Is there some program I can run to see if there's a security problem?

If spamming results from your email address being known then anyone could be spammed by guessing an email name so there must be more to it that I'm just not getting.

Once used for spamming such as you suggest that I might have posted online (but I don't believe I have other than to the site control to sign up for an acct for example) then is the address more or less corrupted? That doesn't make sense to me (not that I know much about it but logically) because like for example when I've tried to sign up for an email address and I'm notified that address is already in use so if that's all you need to spam then it would be easy. They must somehow be able to clone perhaps my IP address? I know enough to know something but not enough to know anything definitely.

As i recall from SpamCop (its been awhile) it seems like they said that was possible - to use someones IP address but I think there are ways to detect if it is a false IP address. If you can detect a false IP address then wouldn't the, as in this case, Inbox.com be able to determine that as well.

I am still concerned with this for several reasons one of which is I just dont want anything of mine to be closed under suspicious circumstances and it seems unfair to close it without saying anything. If spammers can use my email address I would think that (in this case) inbox.com knows that and would not automatically assume it is me who is doing so especially after five years with an address?

Edited by kcsummer, 15 January 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 26,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

There is a ton of information on Email Spoofing. Start here: Someone's sending from my email address! How do I stop them?!

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

There is a ton of information on Email Spoofing. Start here: Someone's sending from my email address! How do I stop them?!

Thanks I will definitely read this stuff right away.

Shouldn't an email address site be able to tell if its spoofing????

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 26,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

If they have the time, resources and staff are skilled enough.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Which password? Your computer password or your email password. I have several different email accounts that I use for different reasons, i.e. One for projects I'm working on, one for animal rescue issues, one for personal.

How did you find out you were "spamming" and what happened to your email address? Was it closed as well?

It was just my email password. I don't have a password for my computer. And I only have one email addy. The spam only went out once. I was tipped off and I changed the password and the spam stopped.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

I was tipped off and I changed the password and the spam stopped.

Somehow different but my Facebook account last year was not accessible but after changing password courtesy of Facebook team, I have regained access to my only account. Most likely also hacked.

Tekken

#11 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

kcsummer

I do I find out if I am malware free? I have my firewall active and AVG anti-virus software.and McAfee Security Scan Plus. I haven't had any "issues" with my computer other than a poorly performing WP system. Is there some program I can run to see if there's a security problem?

For Malware try Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware

Edited by Jelerak, 15 January 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#12 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:01 AM

If they have the time, resources and staff are skilled enough.

Here is the new email I got about my inbox.com account. It reveals a lot.

1/16/2012 4:49:34 PM
Answer:

please be informed that once an account is involved in Spamming we have to block it immediately so that spamming emails can be stopped.

We knew that if any legitimate user was not sending these Spamming emails then that user would contact us to get this issue resolved.

If you are not involved in this then it seems that your system is infected with virus, key logger or spyware and they are monitoring your computer and stealing accounts' passwords.

First of all, please scan your system with the well known anti-virus program so that you do not face this issue again.

After that stop using your Email Client as this issue can be caused by your Email Client as well.

Also, let us know the answer of your security question so that it is confirmed that this account belongs to you.

Question : What is your father's middle name?

Please note that once you verify the security question then we will unblock your account, will change the password and will let you know the changed password.

Though, if this thing happens again then your account will be permanently blocked so please make sure that you run a scan on your system with a well known anti-virus program.

Let us know if you need our assistance again.

:blink: Now I wonder about everything on my computer. Oh dear.

I sent them the answer but I am not going to try to use that account until I find out some solutions or answer but maybe it is everything compromised.

What do they mean "email client"?

Edited by kcsummer, 17 January 2012 - 02:03 AM.

#13 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

I got another email from inbox.com today and they told me the password to my new account after I verified the personal info question they asked for.

They said they have unblocked the account but if it occurs again the account will be shut down permanently.

Is there any reason to believe that I would be safer accessing my email until this is all straightened out from my Apple computer rather than my Microsoft laptop?

I ran a scan last night and found numerous tracking cookies. I found no trojan or virus? I used the program recommended here "Super Anti Spyware". Probably should try a couple more later today when I return from my appointments.

This is an excerpt from the email from inbox.com (who I must say seem to be doing the best they can to help me). I had asked them for more info on how they became aware of the spamming etc.

"Please note that your account was being accessed from multiple IP addresses and all those IP addresses were being used for Spamming users and therefore we blocked all such accounts which were accessed from those IP addresses.

Also, we checked your account and found that Spamming emails were being sent.
"

Incidentally - Zappos sent out notices their accounts were compromised and advising me to set up a new password. I doubt the two are connected but curious. I don't know enough about the how's to figure it out really. Anyway. That's where this is right now.

Edited by kcsummer, 17 January 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#14 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Im sorry this happend to you.....

Alot of companies ARE LAZY and wont check thier own system TO SEE IT WASNT YOU (Different IP,etc) they just take action which is disgustingly pathetic on thier part!

#15 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

The Zappos problem just happened a couple of days ago. Using my own experience when Gawker was hacked, I was never infected. Millions of email accounts were hacked but no one was infected. If this is similar, changing your email password should be enough. I scan for viruses and malware regularly so I wasn't concerned about that. I don't know anything about your email provider but you should consider starting a GMail account and link it up with your main account as a backup. That's what I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users