Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire Won't Power On

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 amberwilliams123

amberwilliams123

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hi, I've got an Acer Aspire T180 desktop that won't power on. I have replaced the power supply but it's still doing the same thing. The fan won't run nor will any lights on the front come on. There are two lights (Amber and Green) that come on on the ethernet port. I've tried removing the CMOS battery with no luck and I've tried holding the power button down and then reconnecting the power cord but also with no luck. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Amber

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Unplug everything from the motherboard (including add-in cards) except for the PSU, CPU/fan, and the front-panel connector. Retest. If the motherboard powers on and beeps several times, turn it off, add in a stick of RAM in the slot closest to the cpu, connect the monitor to the onboard vga port, and retest. If it powers on, continue pluging in one thing at a time until it stops powering on. Report back your findings.

Edited by LucheLibre, 11 January 2012 - 05:43 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 amberwilliams123

amberwilliams123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Ok, took everything off except PSU, CPU, and front connector. Still does nothing. No fan on the MB or CPU.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

What happened before this issue? Powersurge, thermal events, errors... Try reseatting processor and reapply some thermal paste.

Tekken

#5 amberwilliams123

amberwilliams123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

Not sure of any specific issues before the problem. It was working fine but then it sat without being used for several, several weeks. Then went to turn it on and it wouldn't. I'll try to reseat the processor but it's gonna be a few days before I can get some more thermal compound. Is that probably the last solution to check before we determine it's the motherboard? Is there a reason why the fan on the power supply isn't even turning on? Or does it only turn on after the PSU gets hot? Anyway, thanks for your help and I'll post back in a few days after I get some thermal compound. :)

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

the fan and the power supply will only turn on if it detects the motherboard call for power.
the replacement power supply you put in is known to work ?

#7 amberwilliams123

amberwilliams123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

Caperdog, that's what I figured but I wasn't positive.

The PSU I put in today is brand new out of the box. I actually had a different Acer desktop do the same thing and replacing the PSU fixed the problem. Well, obviously I should have checked it out before just assuming it was the same solution. Ha. But just to be sure, I put the new PSU in a different machine and it works fine.

I removed the heat sink/fan and noticed a small dusting of either a)smoke dust or b)dust dust on the side of the processor. I removed the processor and it looked fine underneath. All contacts were good with no traces of damage. Can't really test anything with power now that I have removed the thermal compound until I can get some more at the store. It's looking like the MB is maybe just fried. But keep the suggestions coming please and thanks so much for you all's time so far!

#8 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Remove the CPU and retest. What happens? Does the PSU fans turn on?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#9 amberwilliams123

amberwilliams123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

Luche, Are you saying remove the CPU and retest WITHOUT reinstalling the CPU? I just want to make sure before I try.

#10 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

Yes. Hopefully the PSU will get a power-on signal and the fans will run for a moment before turning off again.

~ LL ~

#11 amberwilliams123

amberwilliams123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Nope, nothing. :(

#12 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

One last hail mary to try.

Plug the CPU back in and set the heatsink on top of it. No need to be fancy, just set it there. Make sure the PSU is also plugged in properly. Unplug the cord from the front-panel header and touch header pins 6 and 8 at the same time with a flat-blade screwdriver for a moment. If nothing happens, I'd say you need a new motherboard.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Acer%20Computers/Aspire-T180/Manual/114609?page=68

Do an image search for 'bad capacitors' and compare the images to the capacitors on your motherboard, especially around the power connector and the CPU. Check for bulging or leaking. Look carefully, as the damage can be slight. Capacitors should be flat across the top.

Edited by LucheLibre, 12 January 2012 - 05:29 PM.

~ LL ~

#13 amberwilliams123

amberwilliams123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Well that didn't work either. Guess it's time to get a new one. :( Thanks for the help, LL. I really appreciate it.

#14 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

It's no problem. Glad I could help.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users