Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

Looks like this tutorial hasn't been updated since it was posted on August 17th, 2004.

While most of the advice still holds true, we've gone through the release of Vista and 7, and also the removal tools have drastically changed in the 8 years since then (as has the way malware infects computers.)

Step 4 recommends and links to tutorials on the use of Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. While these were the preeminent anti-malware programs of their day, mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand Spybot's TeaTimer or how to use it and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

I suggest recommending and linking to the Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware tutorials instead.

Step 5 offers commercial anti-malware programs. Ad-Aware and Spysweeper are suggested. I'd argue that the commercial versions of Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware have a higher detection rate and are better suited for today's malware.

Step 10 recommends SpywareBlaster. While initially a good program to prevent malware attacks in the early 2000s, the current versions of Internet Explorer and Firefox do a good job at performing many of the tasks that SpywareBlaster performs, and these browsers are much improved security-wise than they were. So again, I don't think this tool is helpful to recommend anymore.

I might add to Step 11 that updating not only the security software, but other common programs like Java, Adobe Flash, and Adobe Reader can help prevent getting infected in the future. Maybe add mention of Secunia and/or FileHippo's UpdateChecker.

Regards,
Jason

My help is free... however, if you want to support my fight against malware, click here --> btn_donate_SM.gif <-- (every little bit helps)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,660 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Wow, I never saw this until after i already posted the update. I just recently updated this guide to make it more current and pretty much got all of your suggestions in there.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/

#3 jntkwx

jntkwx
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,989 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Awesome! :thumbsup:

Regards,
Jason

My help is free... however, if you want to support my fight against malware, click here --> btn_donate_SM.gif <-- (every little bit helps)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users