Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe- Winrscmde

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EricaT

EricaT

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Hello there,

Recently, I've noticed that my computer has been running slow lately. I've used a program called CCleaner to delete any excess junk from my computer, but I still notice lagging like opening programs and switching from one task to another. I open the Windows Task Manager to check which program or process could be the source to this lag and then I notice a process called svchost.exe and the description is winrscmde. This process is using 20-100% CPU and averaging 700k memory. I check my task manager often to close programs and such but I have not encountered this one before. When I trace the source of this file, it takes me to my Windows folder when the process' name is svchost.exe *32 possibly meaning that it should belong in the System 32 folder? The date of creation also goes back to 2009. Again, I'm just seeing this process for the first time. Is this process a virus?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wtea44

wtea44

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

hello. i just had svchost.exe as a virus with the desc winrscmde as well.

I have managed to correct the problem by myself. The way i've accomplished this is as follows: The virus I had was classified in spybot as smitfraud.c generic. It was an svchost.exe*32 with the description of winrscmde, and would not be removed on reboot by MBAM. Spybot also was not able to terminate it.

You need MBAM to start off with.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4716-malwarebytes-anti-malware.html

run a scan if you would like, although the solution that worked for me was:

First I went to task manager, and view processes by all users. located the svchost with the description of winrscmde and ended the process.

Next, downloaded TDSSkiller

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

extracted it to the desktop. right clicked and picked run as administrator

it asked me to reboot after it finished scanning, allowed it to reboot.

afterwards ran the latest version of MBAM (right click, run as adminstrator) ran a quick scan. instead of a memory process and a file there was only the file in C:/windows, i clicked remove selected. rebooted and the virus no longer exists on my computer.

Hope this helps as i was frustrated for a few days trying to get rid of the virus on my computer.

#3 thanksthnksthx

thanksthnksthx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

wtea I had already tried mbam and combofix so many times on safe mode etc. tdsskiller did the trick. I signed up here just to thankyou. thankyou so much! :)

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Please download TDSSKiller.zip and and extract it.
  • Run TDSSKiller.exe.
  • Click Start scan.
  • When it is finished the utility outputs a list of detected objects with description.
    The utility automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects.
    The utility prompts the user to select an action to apply to suspicious objects (Skip, by default). Let the options as it is and click Continue
  • Let reboot if needed and tell me if the tool needed a reboot.
  • Click on Report and post the contents of the text file that will open.

Note: By default, the utility outputs the log into system disk (it is usually the disk with installed operating system, C:\) root folder. The Log have a name like: TDSSKiller.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#5 ropnjessi

ropnjessi

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

hello. i just had svchost.exe as a virus with the desc winrscmde as well.

I have managed to correct the problem by myself. The way i've accomplished this is as follows: The virus I had was classified in spybot as smitfraud.c generic. It was an svchost.exe*32 with the description of winrscmde, and would not be removed on reboot by MBAM. Spybot also was not able to terminate it.

You need MBAM to start off with.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4716-malwarebytes-anti-malware.html

run a scan if you would like, although the solution that worked for me was:

First I went to task manager, and view processes by all users. located the svchost with the description of winrscmde and ended the process.

Next, downloaded TDSSkiller

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

extracted it to the desktop. right clicked and picked run as administrator

it asked me to reboot after it finished scanning, allowed it to reboot.

afterwards ran the latest version of MBAM (right click, run as adminstrator) ran a quick scan. instead of a memory process and a file there was only the file in C:/windows, i clicked remove selected. rebooted and the virus no longer exists on my computer.

Hope this helps as i was frustrated for a few days trying to get rid of the virus on my computer.

Excellent write up, although mine was located in C:/Windows. All the other same conditions existed, this method work great, thanks for taking the time to post your findings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users