Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome slow to load, pages get unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

(Not sure if this is supposed to be in the Internet forum or here)

This computer is a bit slow in general, but the main problem is during internet usage. It was always very slow to load, and it's gotten worse. If I try to add pages, it doesn't even try to load them until I actually go to the respective tabs. I often get: "The following plugin has become unresponsive: Shockwave. Would you like to stop it?" & "The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash." Then it started giving me those "this page has become unresponsive. Wait or kill?" and then "Snap, aw, what a bummer." Now it's doing that often enough that I really can't do very much online.

I have Avast AV Free, Comodo Firewall, Spyware Terminator running, all updated. I've run MBAM & ESET. A little while back I tried Autoruns but took out too much so had to go back to the latest working version. I just did Startup Lite & Startup Inspector. I also ran checkdisk, Disk Cleanup and Defrag. I try to limit the programs and even Windows components I have on the computer.

Using Chrome (w/several extensions) on a TOSHIBA Satellite M45, Windows XP Home Ver 5.1.2600 SP3, Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB (Available 123.83 MB), Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB (Available 1.95 GB).

Thanks in advance!
Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 7, Firefox 15, avast! Free Antivirus, Comodo Firewall, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

OK.
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GFuYt1HVIwVnYcCG4Kdzire
Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 7, Firefox 15, avast! Free Antivirus, Comodo Firewall, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

I would recommend not using Comodo Firewall and instead use the Windows Firewall, and see if the slowness still occurs. I would also recommend getting more RAM.

#5 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

A couple of things that may help:

1) "The following plugin has become unresponsive: Shockwave."
Latest update for Adobe Shockwave Player v.11.6.3.633
Download: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/
May not be compatible with Chrome?

2) Update Java from JRE 1.5 to JRE 1.6.30
Download: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

3) Are these Symantec files left over from an old Norton AntiVirus install? Since you are using Avast, you can probably safely delete the files.

aluschedulersvc.exeProcess ID: 3164User: SYSTEMDomain: NT AUTHORITYPath: C:\ProgramFiles\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exeMemory Usage: 164 KBPeak Memory Usage: 4.44 MB

symlcsvc.exeProcess ID: 1012User: SYSTEMDomain: NT AUTHORITYPath: C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-c\symlcsvc.exeMemory Usage: 212 KBPeak Memory Usage: 5.30 MB

4) An interesting article re: GoogleUpdateTaskUserS, a known resource hog:
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/11978.aspx

GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-4193115924-382989341-1980522636-1007 UA: Every 1 hour(s) from 1:30 PM for 24 hour(s) every day, starting
10/25/2010

GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-4193115924-382989341-198052 2636-1007Core: At 1:30 PM every day, starting 10/25/2010

GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA1cc5f85a6d1fb50: Every 1 hour(s) from 6:36 AM for 24 hour(s) every day, starting 10/23/2011

GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore1cc5f85a533df80: Run at user logonAppleSoftwareUpdate: At 7:38 PM every Wed of every week, starting 6/7/2010
New Task: At 9:00 AM every day, starting 8/31/2010

GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-4193115924-382989341-1980522 636-1011UA: Every 1 hour(s) from 3:17 AM for 24 hour(s) every day, starting 9/11/2011

GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-4193115924-382989341-1980522 636-1011Core: At 3:17 AM every day, starting 9/11/2011

WinXP Pro sp3 \ IE8, Chrome (default), Avira, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

Have you tried another browser? I use Chrome. The two problems you are having are known bugs but Google hasn't figured out how to fix them.

#7 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

Goodness, thanks for the suggestions! Hadn't seen the later ones til now, so I'll do those in a bit after checking this first step. CryptoDan, I've disabled Comodo and enabled Windows Firewall. Does Comodo take up a lot of RAM? I definitely can't afford any non-essential expenditures, so I'm not adding any more. Now that I think of it, I may have been advised not to use it before, as well. But I already had the download on the computer, so I enabled it when I started using this computer again, not thinking there might have been a problem.

TulsaRose, I suspected that I didn't need the Symantec stuff, but since I hadn't gotten rid of them before, I figured there was a reason for it. I think I had difficulty deleting them, for some reason.

Frankp316, on my partner's computer, we sometimes have trouble streaming Netflix, and just recently Hulu. I tried using Firefox instead of Chrome, and it said I didn't have the required plug-in, installed whatever it was, and Hulu was fine. I actually was never sure if Chrome was so much faster, b/c I had a lot of Firefox extensions, so it wasn't a fair comparison. I don't have anything else on this computer yet.

Anyway, I'll report back when I get some results. Thanks for the replies! :)

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Chrome is faster but it has bugs just like Firefox. I've noticed it has been a lot better with Flash lately so maybe they have made progress with Adobe. Google has admitted the inexplicable stalling baffles them. Usually if I kill it and reload it, it works fine. They don't know why it does that.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

For me after a week of using Chrome it had issues remembering cookies and site preferences and stuff like that. it would load images and sites far to slow and would become more of a burden then anything else. I instantly went back to firefox and strongly discourage the use of Chrome to anyone.

Loading up Firefox with extensions and add-ons will cause issues. You should just have the ones required the enjoy the net. Things like Adblock, flashblock, and other ones are more of an annoyance and can break sites and cause massive slow downs.

#10 Linda.Christ

Linda.Christ

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:36 AM

What Version of Google Chrome are you using?

Install the Latest Version. I am using Google chrome V16.0.912.63... It is working fine. The browser is very light and it won't hang or crash. Previously i used Mozilla Firefox..... Because it crashes very often, i switched to Chrome... My experience with Chrome is nice as compared to other Browser.

#11 Linda.Christ

Linda.Christ

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:37 AM

What Version of Google Chrome are you using?

Install the Latest Version. I am using Google chrome V16.0.912.63... It is working fine. The browser is very light and it won't hang or crash. Previously i used Mozilla Firefox..... Because it crashes very often, i switched to Chrome... My experience with Chrome is nice as compared to other Browser.

#12 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

That's quite insane, about updating itself every 1/2 hr. I haven't been on that computer for the past day or two since I have the opportunity to use the better one. I'm moving a bunch of documents to Google Docs so I can access them from the other computer. But I changed the update setting for this computer.

I also took out Microsoft Works, which I was surprised to see was even possible. I always try to take out stuff like Microsoft NT but am not allowed to. Anyway, I think replacing Comodo may have helped. For the Adobe & Java, should I uninstall what I have and then install the latest versions, or just update what I have?

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

Updating Java to the latest will remove prior versions and the same goes for Adobe.

#14 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

Oh, I thought that Java liked to add-on, resulting in a long line of previous versions just hanging out on the computer. Anyway, I'm about to go back to that computer. One thing I recall, though, was that I had trouble uninstalling the remainder of Symantec's stuff and Quicken. I went through "Add/Remove" and got an InstallShield progress bar, then when it was done, everything was absolutely the same as before. For the Symantec files, I just searched for anything w/"Symantec" and physically deleted them.

#15 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

OK, here's an update:
  • Disabled Comodo, switched Windows Firewall to on. Seems less prone to crashing, but eventually it gets slow & unresponsive. It’s as if I’m adding “weight” to it as I surf around, and it gets heavier & heavier.
  • Tried to use Add/Remove for Symantec LiveUpdate, but the Uninstall function would run without actually changing anything. Searched for & deleted Symantec files manually.
  • Quicken won’t uninstall through Programs or through Add/Remove. Does Uninstall and then nothing is changed.
  • Removed Microsoft Works
  • Installed Adobe Shockwave Player 11.6.3.633
  • Installed Java 6.30
  • GoogleUpdateTasks were disabled. Not sure when I did this, actually. I’d like to have it update itself once a week, but not sure how to re-enable. The article says to update GoogleUpdateTaskMachine first, then GoogleUpdateTaskUser, but I see 6 options. GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore & GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA plus 4 GoogleUpdateTaskUsers. Which do I re-enable?
  • The local area connection icon keeps appearing again & telling me a network cable is unplugged! I also have the Wireless network connection icon, which I want. I keep changing the other one to “Always Hide,” and it keeps switching to “Hide when inactive,” AND it still appears when it’s not connected! I’ve tried hitting “Apply” right away, and exiting with the “OK” and then restarting the computer, even. It might stay for the next reboot, but it always comes back. It's driving me crazy!

Any advice on #1, 2, and 4? I should say that I haven't surfed around after installing the latest Adobe & Java programs yet. Thanks for the continued responses!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users