Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Uluru_2

Uluru_2

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:38 PM

I just wanted to bring to your attention the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)

It is a complex piece of legislation which if passed by the U.S. will certainly 'break' the mechanics of the WWW, and Internet.

You can read more from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

Reason I'm posting is not to encourage dissent, or wrong understanding. I searched the Forum and could not find any news or discussion on this issue.

This video helps explain what the SOPA act is and why it is so bad for everyone.

runsonLinux.jpg
Been a Windows User for many years. I'm having a Linux holiday. Be secure, enjoy your time online. :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

Steve Niles summed it up very appropriately.

"SOPA does more than go after so-called 'piracy' websites...SOPA takes away all due process, shuts down any site it deems to be against the law without trial, without notification, without due process."

The unfortunate part is that professional internet pirates will ignore the law with impunity.

Just like gun control laws keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

#3 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

Should one ask himself what these bills are really meant to do if they are not doing what we are told they are suppose to do? .. Probably not... that would make us conspiracy-nuts.

Edited by lora777, 04 January 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,289 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

Conspiracist! well, actually the question is, if there really is a conspiracy, are we really conspiracy nuts?
Posted Image
Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: ASUS ATI 4890 and a Saphire 4890 in Crossfire, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte 4550, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550 watt modular PSU, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate.
If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

I wouldn't think so...:whistle:

But people get called a lot of unkind things for just for being observant these days...

Odd how that works. Used to people were thought to be irresponsible if they were not.

Edited by lora777, 05 January 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

Oh my.

That's going to require a lot of reading and, I suspect, leave a foul taste in my mouth.

Uluru_2, thanks for the OP and the video and link (which led me to other sources of information.)

lora777 - you are spot on regarding folks getting called some unkind things just for pointing things out. You don't even have to mention whether you're for something or against it, just the mere fact that you've taken notice is enough to make you suspect.

Oh rats, now the NSA is going to scan my slow computer again.

And so it goes.

Thanks everyone.

Winterland

VirginiaFlag_BC1.gif

When I speak of the Nation, I mean the Great Commonwealth of Virginia.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

While the act aims at stopping internet piracy and to protect copyright, something everyone thinks is useful, the politicians authoring the bill did not understand how the internet works, and left open the very real possibilities that the provisions could be used for censorship. Many large and important Internet companies, have strongly objected to the bill for these two reasons.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

@ jgweed, thank you for your information and you are so right!
@Uluru_2, Thank you for posting this and welcome to BC!

Conspiracy??? conspiracy???
weel do what I do, open my window and smile and wave at the Satalite....

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#9 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

Let us send a message. We should all become true believers.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

Blue Rondo à la Turk~~Dave Brubeck Quartet

#10 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

"Conspiracist! well, actually the question is, if there really is a conspiracy, are we really conspiracy nuts?"

I may be a conspiracy nut but that doesn't mean that there isn't a conspiracy.

I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean that somebody isn't after me.

#11 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

hahaha ...funny stuff ... I needed a chuckle.:hysterical:

Edited by lora777, 07 January 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean that somebody isn't after me.

Ok, stop quoting bruce willis movies. thats just creepy. . .
Posted Image
Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: ASUS ATI 4890 and a Saphire 4890 in Crossfire, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte 4550, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550 watt modular PSU, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate.
If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#13 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:16 AM

The issue is not whether you are paranoid, the issue is whether you are paranoid enough.

#14 Uluru_2

Uluru_2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

Apparently put as simply as possible, SOPA, which is being legislated, debated, fine tuned by U.S. Politicians who in a lot of cases have never used the Internet would work in this way, if passed.

1.) Search for a subject. Approach a website and 'search'.
2.) If the site, Domain, containing your enquiry has any copyrighted material, it will be banned from U.S. internet users.

Really I think it is aimed at taking down sites like Youtube, as Hollywood 'apparently' has thrown a 100 million dollars somewhere (?) to make this Act happen.

Funny thing is the sites who let you download programmes used to partake in online Piracy, say Download.com for example, aren't considered as playing any part of online piracy, as yet, as they support SOPA, oddly...

It's a funny old world, or is that a conspiracy theory ? ~ :wacko:

*The opinions expressed here are in no way affiliated with bleepingcomputer.com, but are posted for general discussion.

If you have the stomach, this video explains the unexplainable, till it hurts .

Edited by Uluru_2, 08 January 2012 - 08:08 AM.

runsonLinux.jpg
Been a Windows User for many years. I'm having a Linux holiday. Be secure, enjoy your time online. :thumbup2:

#15 elmongo2

elmongo2

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

You gotta remember that EVERYTHING the government does is NOT about "safety and security". It's ALL about "money and control".

Congress pass these laws to protect profits of billion-collar corporations. Members of Congress then get corporate money shoved into their pockets. And the government get to exert MORE control over the people.

How come most people STILL dont get this????
People do dumb things. And I'm not talking about paying too much for car insurance either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users