Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error code 0x80096001 when using Windows Update or Defender

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

I've been dealing with what I think is an infection, and working with a moderator on this forum to get rid of it. One of the issues I'm having is Windows Defender would not turn on. He showed me how to get the registry key fixed, and I can now open Defender, but it won't update. Anytime I try, I get error code 0x80096001.
Also I'm having issues with Windows Update. I tried to install 2007 Microsoft Office SP3, MS Office Compatibility SP3, and KB2393802, and I get the error message each time and the install fails. I've tried it numerous times with the same results. I tried MicrosoftFixIt, and it showed two issues with Windows Update that it repaired, but I still can't download those updates. Also I've googled the error code, which is where I found the MSFixIt.
Thanks for any help!

Edited by Dborns, 29 December 2011 - 01:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

You currently have an open malware topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic431990.html/page__p__2506051#entry2506051 .

Now that you have posted a malware log topic, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic...I have reopened your malware topic so that you can follow the requested actions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users