How To Change The Default Web Browser in Windows
This guide will provide instructions on how to change the default web browser that Windows will use. This is the browser that will be used to open web sites and URLs.
Instructions for Windows XP
- Click on the Windows Start Button and select Control Panel.
- Double-click on Add or Remove Programs.
- When the Add or Remove Programs list appears, click on the Set Programs Access and Defaults option on the left hand navigation bar.
- Select the Custom option and click on the arrows pointing down to expand the Custom entry.
- The web browsers that you have installed on your computer should be listed here. Place a checkmark next to web browser that you wish to become the default browser in Windows.
- Press the OK button.
- Exit the Control Panel.
Instructions for Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Click on the Windows Start Button and in the search field type: default. When the search returns Default Programs, click on it to open the Default Programs screen.
- At the default programs screen, click on the Set your default programs option.
- A screen will open that lists all the installed programs that can be configured as some sort of default in Windows. Select the web browser that you wish to be the default Windows web browser and click on the Set this program as default button.
- Press the OK button to exit the Control Panel.