Sharing a Printer in Windows XP.
The purpose of this guide is to show you how to share a printer, directly connected to one computer, with other computers on a network.
Select and Share the Printer
This procedure is only required on the computer to which the printer is connected. The printer must be properly installed and working and 'file and printer sharing' must be enabled:
- Open the Control Panel from the 'Start' menu and click on 'Printers and Faxes'.
- If you have more than one printer, select the printer that you want to share.
- In the 'Printer Tasks' sidebar click 'Share this printer'- a printer 'Properties' window will open at the 'Sharing' tab. If you do not have the sidebar right click on the printer and choose 'Properties' from the menu that appears.
- Select 'Share this printer' and give it a 'Share name' if you wish.
- If the printer is to be shared with computers running different versions of Windows click the 'Additional Drivers' button, a new dialog box will open where you can select drivers to be made available for a range of Windows versions. You may be asked to load the driver CD supplied with the printer to install these additional drivers.
- Click 'Apply' then 'OK' to close the printer Properties window.
Once the printer is shared on your network users in your workgroup will be able to add that printer to their system by using the 'Add Printer wizard' from the Control Panel and selecting a network printer.