Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Task Bar Not Showing Active Programs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 archiebrown

archiebrown

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:27 PM

Hey if anyone has had this problem, please assist me. I've got "quick lauch" and "show links" checked in the tool bar options. I also have checked "show active programs" when it exists. I don't see it very often. This just started a few days ago. I tried the sytem "go back" feature and restored my systme to a date two weeks ago. Null.

Any suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:39 PM

Are you saying that running programs are not appearing in your taskbar (near the clock), and you want to see them there?

#3 slimjim182

slimjim182

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:12 PM

yes hes saying that and i am having the same problem like 3 posts down

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:28 AM

In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the icon for the program you want to add, and drag it to the Quick Launch portion of the taskbar.
The icon for that program appears next to the other Quick Launch icons on the taskbar.

Note

If the Quick Launch bar is not displayed, right-click an empty area on the taskbar, click Toolbars, and then click Quick Launch.

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:53 AM

Im sorry, but I am not understanding your question, so I will just post some feedback to help diagnose.

Starting from the left side of the Task Bar....."Quick Launch"-->is actually just a toolbar for shortcuts to frequently used programs, so you don't have to click "Start"/All Programs......

The "Notification Area" or "Tray" is where the clock is, and shows the active programs running,if desired, which I hate personally and I turn all of them off except the Internet Icon. They take up space, and if you want to display them, just click the "<" sign.

"Show Links" is also just a toolbar, and has nothing to do with the way Windows presents active programs, in fact, it is just a mirror of the "Links" option in your "Favorites" menu in Internet Explorer.

In between all that junk, is the actuall "Task Bar" where tabs for open windows run, and if you have chosen a program to minimize to the "Tray", then it will usually auto hide after a given time. That is a per program setting,found in Options, Properties, Preferences...etc

In my experience, I have noticed that the "Tray" has amnesia, I to have fought with icons. This is not a major concern to my knowledge, just a minor bug.

Sorry if you already know all this, but there are just so many variables involved, and the more information about the problem the better.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#6 archiebrown

archiebrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:49 PM

I think that nosnhoj is close to resolving the problem. He says to add "active windows" to your task bar, then just click the "<" button. I think that would bring back the active windows. But my problem is that not only do I not have active or "open windows showing on the task bar, neither do I have the "<" button to bring them back. Any ideas on how to get this little "<" button back???

This is really driving me nuts. When I'm online, I have no idea how many windows I have open or when some popups have risen from the dead and are taking up useful memory without do the "ALT Tab" button to see what's running.

HELP HELP HELP. Microsoft, the nice guys won't even talk to me because my computer came installed with XP>

#7 archiebrown

archiebrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

I found a solution that seems to have fixed my problem. I now have all active programs and/or windows showing in the task bar. Go to this site, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to line 240. Click to download the program to your hard disk. Then go there and run the program. I had to tell Norton virus protection to allow the whole script to run. It took about 10 seconds and Kazaam, all of my open programs appeared on my task bar. This was driving me nuts. I hope it lasts.

Let me know if it helps you.

#8 archiebrown

archiebrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

Actually I found the solution at the site http://www.pcbanter.net/t171577.html I book marked both sites for future reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users