Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warning: Bad Winbond

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rlm12462

rlm12462

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

I recently put together a new build, so as expected with new builds we are always checking specs and temps. The motherboard is a Asrock 990fx extreme3 and one of the software utilites monitors hardware and temps. I was getting a 8 degree Celsius difference in what it was telling me the cpu temp was and what the bios was telling me. So I thought I would install speedfan and see what it said. Now, I'm not concerned with the temps anymore, speedfan seems to be inline with what the bios is telling me. But one thing speedfan did bring to my attention was Warning: bad winbond. I don't really know what the winbond does, but there were a couple of things that happened I thought was a bit strange. First, although I am using 1866Mhz RAM, I have it set at 1680Mhz right now. I used cpuid to verify it was running at that speed. Cpuid showed 840 Tuesday when I set it, but yesterday I looked at it again and it showed half that at 420. I restarted and went into bios and confirmed it was running at the lower speed. I reset it back to 1680 but when I tried to look at the timings they were set at 6's and I couldn't change the timings, because the bios kept telling me invalid value and everytime I would click ok to change the value, the box would come up so fast with invalid value, I never could change the values. I kept messing with it until I could set the timings to Auto and get out of and save the bios. I read the instructions on using speccy, I hope I do this right. Any ideas or input would be appreciated. Thanks

My specs from speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

Winbond is a chip on the motherboard that perform health and status monitoring. I would return the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users