Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Code 0x80070424 with windows firewall and windows defender

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GaryMan

GaryMan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

Hi! Recently I was trying to allow access to one of my programs in firewall, firewall says it needs to switch to default settings, so I click it, it shows "Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x80070424. Ive looked for a long time trying to find a solution, and from what ive gathered, I have malware (that I might have got rid of) that might have deleted these (they do not exist in the services list), but I am not positive, I am willing to try anything, please help
GaryManAttached File  error code help pic.png   115.48KB   30 downloadsAttached File  services error code help pic.png   130.44KB   28 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

I do not see Windows Firewall on your startup services needed for enabling. What happens prior to this?

Tekken

#3 GaryMan

GaryMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:34 AM

I think a virus or malware has deleted the Windows Firewall somehow. That is why I do not see it in the services I think. (I think it has done the same with Defender.)

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleeper

• Members
  • 1,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:42 AM

the Windows Firewall SERVICE is MISSING? Without knowing any further details--of which you have not provided other than a very vague reference: "from what ive gathered, I have malware (that I might have got rid of)" I would suspect malware at play. You should post in the Am I Infected forum and try to supply details other than "Defender and Firewall are missing" and I think I have malware and I might have "got rid of". The Malware experts in that forum will supply the proper tools to scan your system for the presence of Malware and provide instructions to rid of them .

At the very least you need to provide details of any suspicious malware type behaviour & the steps/tools you used to try and clean your system.

Am I Infected? What do I do? How do I get help? Who is helping me? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic182397.html

Posting your problem here allows more experienced and knowledgeable Members and Staff to determine if solving your problem requires additional information and whether it is actually caused by malware or by some other problem requiring a different approach. If the problem is determined to be malware-related, experienced users can further determine if there is a simple solution such as running common or specific tools, or if your problem is complex enough to need the help of our trained Malware Response Team members.

Hope this helps.:)

Edited by Union_Thug, 01 December 2011 - 12:45 AM.

As long as there's no find, the noble brotherhood will last but when the piles of gold begin to grow... that's when the trouble starts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users