Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The windows vista home premium product key you typed is invalid for activation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computersucks

computersucks

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

I turned on my computer and it has a pop-up that reads "The windows vista home premium product key you typed is invalid for activation". There are 3 options 1. Access your computer with reduced funtionality. This will allow you to buy a new product key online. 2. Type a different product key. 3. Contact Dell to help reolve this problem.

Before this the computer was working, in fact I used it earlier in the day, I didn't download anything, didn't do anything new. I've had this computer for about 3 years. I don't know why i'm suddenly getting this pop up, maybe it's a virus I don't know.

When I click on the first option (1) my firefox opens to this Genuine Windows website http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/genuine
I tried to look it up, seems like a lot of ppl have this problem and no solution.

I have no access to my desktop, no start menu, no taskbar, time, icons, etc, just firefox and when I minimize firefox there is the pop-up. I thought about running malware bytes but i have no access to that.
Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

Yes, this is an issue that some people have experienced, from what I remember this sometimes happens because of a corrupt Windows Update. 95% of the time the easiest way to resolve the issue is to find the Windows Certificate Of Authenticity and re-enter the product key. If this is a laptop computer you should be able to find the sticker on the bottom of the computer or in some cases I have seen the sticker hidden inside the battery compartment. If it is a desktop, look on the sides of the case or the rear.

Make sure you are connected to the internet when you re-enter the key so that the activation process can complete without incident.

The certificate of authenticity will look very similar to this....
http://tips4pc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/coasticker.jpg

Good luck and I hope this helps you out.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

I've seen this happen with HP and eMachine systems...part of the software installed becomes damaged.

System manufacturer and model?

Worth a look, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/this-copy-of-windows-must-be-activated-before-you/387f3367-5fc4-4aa1-937d-6788a626029d .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users