Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't log on to sites that require my password

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JODIE2011

JODIE2011

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

I don't know what happened, but when I booted my computer the other day, I couldn't log on to my Juno account. I got the message that the "Browser is Rejecting Cookies." (I'm on a different computer typing this because I can't log on to any websites that require a passcode.)

I went on-line and learned how to enable cookies in Firefox (tools>options>privacy, etc.) I tried a few things - it seemed pretty easy but nothing worked!!

I now see that I can't log on to anything that requires my password, such as Facebook, Bleepingcomputer.com or Netflix. For whatever reason, I CAN log on to my G-mail account and I'm able to Google.

This may or may not be important, but on this computer that I'm on right now (the working one) the Juno.com cookie list has abbreviations (extensions?) that I don't have, such as: "MAGIC", "cjar_3" and "cjar_eow".

On my computer that has the problem, the Juno.com cookie list has abbreviations that this working computer doesn't, such as: "switch2" and "brand".

I am a complete novice and I'd appreciate the most simplistic instructions. Thanks! Jodie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

Hi Jodie2011,

Just a few suggestions:

1) Check that your computer "time and date" is correct.
  • Double click on the "time" in the bottom right hand side of the taskbar.
  • Make sure the "Time, Date and Time Zone" is correct. If not correct it; click "apply" then "OK."

2) You could attempt to speak with Juno.com support: http://help.juno.com/contact/brand.html?next=http://help.juno.com/support/index-dialup.html.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 9,524 posts
  •  
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No, I am not an Alabama fan. WAR EAGLE!!!
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

Have you tried a different browser? If not, do so and see if you can sign in to any of the sites.

#4 JODIE2011

JODIE2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Queen Evie and Artrooks: I did what you told me to do and the time and date are correct.

I thought about contacting Juno, but I also can't log onto Facebook, Nextflix, Bleepingcomputer.com, etc. However, I can get into Gmail and am able to open Firefox and Google(?!)

I'm positive I have the correct password b/c they're all the same and I use it every day.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!! -Jodie

#5 JODIE2011

JODIE2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

P.S. I just looked in tools>options>privacy to look at the list of my cookies. The sites that are NOT letting me log into (Juno, BC, Facebook, Netflix, etc.) all have their cookies listed.

I typed the wrong password on Juno, Facebook, BC, etc. and the sites tell me that I entered the wrong password. But when I enter the correct password, I get a message error that the "page is being redirected in a way that won't complete...could be caused by disabled cookies."

BTW, I have Vipre and Malwarebytes Antimalware. Thanks, Jodie

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

You are using the Firefox Browser.

Have you performed all three of these steps: Websites say cookies are blocked?
  • Check cookie settings.
  • Clear history for that site.
  • Clear all cookies and the cache.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,904 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

Options > Advanced Tab > Under General Tab -- Accessibility : "Warn me when web sites try to redirect or reload the page"

See Options window - Advanced panel

Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page: When this option is enabled (checked), Firefox will prevent websites from redirecting you to another page (like a sign-on, etc), or automatically reloading.

[attachment=112898:ff_warn.PNG]

Edited by Union_Thug, 02 December 2011 - 07:33 AM.

#8 JODIE2011

JODIE2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Artrooks and Union_Thug:

I've tried everything that's been suggested but nothing works.

I can log on to Gmail and can Google but I can't open Juno, Facebook, Bleepincomputer, etc. b/c my browser is rejecting cookies. I've read absolutely everything that I could online and it seemed easy to fix and I've followed the directions exactly but it still won't work.

Not sure if this matters, but I have Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox icons on my desktop. I researched how to fix cookies being rejected in the IE browser and followed those directions in IE but I still can't open anything in IE or Firefox with my password because of cookies being rejected.

I notice that in Firefox that its tools>options>privacy. But in IE, I see tools>internet options>privacy. They are different than each other.

Maybe I did something in IE that conflicted with Firefox (or vice verse?) I'm completely computer illiterate. Thank you so much for your help. And have a good one if I don't get back to you until Monday (this is an office computer.)

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,904 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

Can you tell us the PRECISE message you are receiving in both IE & Firefox?

#10 JODIE2011

JODIE2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

When I click on Firefox, my Juno log in page appears as it always does. I put my password in and then it loads for about a minute. Then I get the message:

"You're unable to sign in because your browser is rejecting cookies. Click here to find out more." (I clicked and did everything but nothing works.)

When I try to log onto Netflix, the page kept loading for about 2 minutes and then I got this message:

"The page isn't redirecting properly. Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete. This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies."

When I try to log onto Facebook, the page loads for about 4 minutes then the log in place where I just typed my email address and password disappears. The Facebook log in page is still there but whatever I typed just disappears. (The same thing happens with Netflix)

When I tried to open IE, I got this message: "The page cannot be displayed. The page you are currently looking for is not available. The web still might be experiencing difficulties or you may need to adjust your browser settings." It's been giving me that message for the past 3 hours.

Thanks - Jodie

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

Try this LINK

Tekken

#12 JODIE2011

JODIE2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

jhayze: I don't know what happened, but it worked. I changed the settings in both IE and Firefox and now everything is fine. I think that perhaps I had the wrong settings in IE and the correct ones in Firefox(?) Or maybe that didn't make any difference. Nevertheless, I can log on to everything that requires a password.

I cannot thank you enough!! All of you guys have been wonderful. -Jodie :thumbsup:

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

Thank you for the kind words and letting us know of your success. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 imtigger2

imtigger2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

jhayze: I don't know what happened, but it worked. I changed the settings in both IE and Firefox and now everything is fine. I think that perhaps I had the wrong settings in IE and the correct ones in Firefox(?) Or maybe that didn't make any difference. Nevertheless, I can log on to everything that requires a password.

I cannot thank you enough!! All of you guys have been wonderful. -Jodie :thumbsup:

You may have cleared the cookies... then finally closed the browser and reopened it and that made it a success possibly.

I had the same problem with JUST Netflix. I finally fixed it by clearing ALL Netflix specific cookies and it worked right away.

Go to: TOOLS / OPTIONS / PRIVACY TAB / click on the "SHOW COOKIES" button / in the search box at the top, type "netflix" and tap enter. Click on the 1st in the list, then scroll to the bottom and HOLD SHIFT while clicking the last item in the list to select all (of course), then DELETE all those NETFLIX specific cookies there.

RESTART your web browser BEFORE giving it another shot at "just wanna see if that worked" and hopefully that will fix you right up. :-)

BTW, this is my 1st post, noob member, but I've been lurking the Bleeping Computer forums for years looking for running processes. I solved this issue myself so I just "had" to join to hopefully help someone else who has this issue. I hope I can help elsewhere as well. I am THE person in MY family that almost daily has to fix what my friends and family do to their PC's constantly. LogMeIn and Acronis Backup are my best friends.. I tell ya. In fact, to make MY life easier, I bought backup drives for every computer I support. Makes my life a hella lot easier. :-)

Edited by imtigger2, 05 March 2012 - 12:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users