Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

During Diagnostics got "exception occ in module disk.mdm!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 meeka6

meeka6

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

Greetings fine folks,
I have an Inspiron 531S from dell. Can't seem to get it to boot up whatsoever. Not sure how this could have happened considering we've had it only about a hear and a half. I cut and paste the specs but really I know very little about what to do with the troubleshooting. So, I'll just tell you what I did, not that I know what it MEANS! LOL! Okay so upon booting up, I get black screen, with wording

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual core processor 5000+
Memory Testing 3079168k OK+ 64M Shared Memory (Installed Memory 3145725K)
SATA0:
SATA1:TSST DVD +- RWTS H653FD300
SATA2:NONE
SATA3:NONE

Diskette drive 0 Seek Failure
Strike F1 try reboot F2 enter setup utility.

So, I F2 into BIOS to try and set the the hard drive as the first boot option. CD rom as second and disabled the 3rd and 4th options. Try the reboot, same story. Went back in, changed it to the CD rom to run the diagnostics CD I got from Dell, THAT crashed midway through with EXCEPTION OCCURRED IN MODULE DISK.MDM! WARMING: NO LINE MAPPING FOUND PRESS ANY KEY TO ABORT. So, did that, back to the beginning.

Basically, I have nothing of value on this computer as far as data. No pictures, no music, no video, nothing. It's primarily used at internet for the kids. That being said...I can't put a price on the importance of this computer. LOL. Im a single mom, three kids ages 7, 5, and 2, and this computer is my sanity!!! Cant afford to take it in, just want to be able to get them back online and into their school websites. Is there anyway I can fix this myself???? I do have the Vista CD that came from Dell but I'm having a sick feeling that there is nothing I can do to save the hard drive in order to even reinstall the OS. Someone, anyone, tell me I'm wrong....and NOT be lying!! LOL! :) Any help would be fantastical!
Erica

Base,Slim Tower,X2,5000+,2C 531SN
Information,NOSOUND,NOSPEAKER
Label,Advanced Micro Devices,Desktop,Athlon
Mouse,2BTN,Optical Black,Logitech,DI
Software,VHP32SP1 Consumer Desktop,English,D/B
Keyboard,104,United States,Black,Liteon,Dimension
Information,No Raid, Dimension
Label,Microsoft,WindowsVista Os,Premium,Dimension
Software,Quick Fix Engineering,VHP32SP1 Consumer Desktop
Dvd+/-rw,16,Serial Ata Slim Tower,Hitachi Lg Data Storage
Software,DELL-DOCK Consumer
Information,SCRATCH/DENT EQUIPMENT
Software,VHP32SP1 Digital Video Disk Drive,MUL5 Dao/bcc
Ship Group,Slim Tower,531S United States,English,Dell Americas Organization
Module,Software,DSPRT-CTR,2.0
Information,NO FLOPPY
Software,Mcafee SAPPHIRE,30DAY,Multiple User Interface
Dual In-line Memory Module,3G,800,2XIG/2X512MB
Software,VHP32/64 Certificate Of Authenticity
Software,Works,9 English
Hard Drive,320G,S2,#1 Lead Free,WD-RAID
Information,NO DIS
Software,WINDOWS-LIVE Consumer
Software,PC-RESTORE Transactional Line Of Business
Media,Digital Video Disk Drive,Driver,Resource DVD531S
Software,Roxio,10.2 Dell Edition
1 Year Limited Warranty
Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year
No Warranty, Year 2 and 3
Banctec Service Agreement
Warranty Support, Initial Year
Type 3- Third Party At Home Service, 24x7 Technical Support, Initial Year
Information,Equipment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:34 PM

Try this.
http://www.cyberwalker.com/article/725
What happens when you press Alt + F4 at the same time?

#3 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

Hi meeka6,

A couple of things to try..

Check BIOS for an option to "restore factory settings" or "default settings" (you may find the option "save setup defaults", in the EXIT section)
Try resetting the BIOS...
Replace the battery...

Pauline

edited to include option in exit section of BIOS

Edited by a_cup, 24 November 2011 - 08:54 PM.

#4 meeka6

meeka6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

Did try the "restore defaults option"...no luck. Its a PC so no battery, or are you referring to the little circular battery I noticed in the interior?? Will try the steps to wipe vista, thanks!! :)

#5 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

yes the motherboard battery inside..It maintains the date, time, configurations

Pauline

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

If you need help with finding drivers or setting up your pc after you reformat we are here to help.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 24 November 2011 - 09:54 PM.

What happens when you press Alt + F4 at the same time?

#7 meeka6

meeka6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

In BIOS the date, time, etc seems to be intact and functional?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,505 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:31 AM

FWIW: http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/microsoft-windows/windows-nt-2000-xp/threads/371165

Louis

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

The Diagnostics should be on the hard drive and accessible by Pressing F12 when the Dell logo appears. That is the boot device menu. Diagnostics should be at the bottom of the list.

I would run the memory test followed by the hard drive test and then Motherboard test. If nothing wants to run I would pull all but one of the memory cards and see if it works. If not I would then try removing the first one and putting in a different one and see if Diags runs then.

If the error was caused by a bad drive or cd disc the built in diagnostics should not be affected.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

111 @ October 19

#10 meeka6

meeka6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

I was not able to get to the diagnostics via F12, sends me to that error screen either F1 to retry boot (endless cycle back to error) or F2 to enter setup. That's why I had to use the Dell Diagnostics CD. THAT'S where the "no line mapping" error appeared, midway through the extended test.

As far as my attempt to wipe Vista and start fresh, I'm able to get the CD to load and it goes as far as to prompt to install now with two options below "things to know" and "do you want to repair"....neither of which get me very far. When I go to install, I get stuck on the "where do you want to install", there is no drive listed. When I go into repair, I get to the same sort of roadblock, no drive to repair. I REALLY can't believe I have a dead hard drive after only 16 months and very little use! UGH! What next?

The Diagnostics should be on the hard drive and accessible by Pressing F12 when the Dell logo appears. That is the boot device menu. Diagnostics should be at the bottom of the list.

I would run the memory test followed by the hard drive test and then Motherboard test. If nothing wants to run I would pull all but one of the memory cards and see if it works. If not I would then try removing the first one and putting in a different one and see if Diags runs then.

If the error was caused by a bad drive or cd disc the built in diagnostics should not be affected.

Good Luck

#11 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

Diskette drive 0 Seek Failure
Strike F1 try reboot F2 enter setup utility

Are you still getting the above on reboot..?

Select F2 then go to Standard CMOS Features>>highlight drive A and change it to none

Pauline

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

What shows for hard drive when you press F2 to go to setup as the Dell logo appears? I wonder is the Restore partition is still there or was it removed too.

the below takes a bit of work since you have to find the Axxxx number and requires a level of skill working at the DOS prompt.

Try this if you don't mind wiping the hard drive as this is destructive. Boot from the Diagnostics CD. Choose Q for quit which should be an option.
Then type cd\upc32\uptools press Enter. then type mkup xxxx where xxxx is a four digit number. You will need another computer to search the disc first. You are looking for something like A1277 or A1275 or A1322 and so on. The number depends on the diagnostic version on the disk.

If you can find that then you can create the diagnostic partition. Once that is done you need to reboot from the diagnostic disc. choose quit again. then type
F:\upc32\uptools\mkup xxxx where xxxx is the A number without the A. that loads the diagnostic software into the Diagnostic partition.

It sounds like somebody removed yours.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

111 @ October 19

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users