How To reset your computer's IP address and Gateway when using DHCP
When your computer will not connect to the Internet on a high speed connection (Cable, ADSL, Satelitte) sometimes it needs to aquire a new IP address or Gateway. This is common when the power goes out or you move the computer from one LAN to another. This Guide will instruct you on how to obtain a new IP address or Gateway. for your computer.
Note: This guide will only work for those people who are using DHCP to get their IP address and Gateway from their Internet Provider.
- First click on Start then Run and type command in the Open: field and press the OK button.
- To determine what your IP address and default gateware are we need to run ipconfig.exe. Type ipconfig.exe and press enter. The Default Gateway address and the IP Address will be displayed. Regardless of whether there are addresses listed here, continue with the next two steps.
- You will need to release your current IP address and gateway in order to get a new one. If this turns out not to be the problem with your computer, this proceedure will not hurt anything by attempting it. Release your current IP by typing the following ipconfig /release and then press enter. This will release any assigned IP addresses and gateways from your computer.
- Next you need to type in ipconfig /renew to get a new IP address or default gateway. On the screen your should see your new Default Gateway and IP Address. If you are using a router or your IP has not changed on your modem then the addresses may not have changed.
- Type exit to leave the command prompt and get to Windows.