Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot with hard drive issues claimed by Windows

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tetsab

Tetsab

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:43 AM

Hello,

I have a laptop here that came up with a hard disk error notice yesterday plus instructions to back-up data and go to the manufacturer to see the disk needs repaired/replaced. It was put into hibernate mode then and now turns on to a "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" notice.

I think this issue may be traceable to a number of weeks ago when it was abruptly turned off by accidentally stepping on a power bar. When it was restarted it came up with some sort of note each time it was restarted that there was now something wrong with it (unfortunately I have no idea what that message was) and when I tried to use system restore it noted it wasn't possible and when I tried to scan the drive for errors it would restart but then not run the scan. After rebooting it in safe mode and messing about (even worse, can't even remember what I did, but it was something via the command prompt) it got to the point where the computer was starting up without the error message (but still wouldn't do things like restore to an earlier point).

Laptop seemed otherwise okay until yesterday when the error note appeared and now I'm trying to figure out if I could fix it by just wiping and re-installing (or if that is something I should absolutely not do) or if I need to find someone to actually look at the hard disk.

It's an Acer TravelMate 8372 with a Toshiba MK6465GSX. All files are currently backed up but there's no disk available with a system image.

I've got a recovery CD for it though and when its runs it notes the following:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disk and restart your computer.
etc.

File: \boot\BCD
Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

If I start without the hard drive plugged in the Recovery disk loads as it should, but it naturally cant find any Windows installations.

If I plug the hard drive in whilst starting up it attempts to find Windows installations then comes up with

"The following startup option will be repaired:
Name: {bootmgr}
Identifier: {9DEA862C-5CDD-4E70-ACC1-F32B344D4795}

The following startup options will be added:
Name: Windows 7 Professional (recovered)
Path: Windows
Windows Device: Partition =D: (597066MB)

Name: Windows Recovery Environment (recovered)
Path: Recovery\<numbers and letters>\Winre.wim
Windows Device: Partition =D: (597066MB)

A copy of the current boot configuration will be saved as: D:\Boot\BCD.backup.0002"

But when I click "repair and restart" it comes up with "Failed to save startup options." and moves me on to the next screen asking me to load a previous system image or proceed with running recovery tools on the selected OS but then there's no options listed to select, which means none of the tools listed can run, etc.

However, it does give the option to recovery from factory default & opens "Acer eRecovery Management V7.7.7" and says it will restore to to the Toshiba MK6465GSX ATA Device.

Would doing this be the right next step given I have all the data or the wrong step to take if there's a chance there is something actually wrong with the hard drive.

Thanks for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:53 AM

Would doing this be the right next step given I have all the data or the wrong step to take if there's a chance there is something actually wrong with the hard drive.

It sounds as though there is a good chance that there is actually a hard drive problem ... so the next step should be to test the hard drive, before attempting "the option to recovery from factory default & opens "Acer eRecovery Management V7.7.7" and says it will restore to to the Toshiba MK6465GSX ATA Device."

Toshiba do not provide a diagnostic utility, so I suggest using the diagnostic utility from either Hitachi or Seagate. I will provide instructions for using Seagate's SeaTools for DOS, to be run from a bootable CD.

:step1: Using a working computer, please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Still using your working computer, burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Now on the problematic computer, boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

Edited by AustrAlien, 20 November 2011 - 03:59 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Tetsab

Tetsab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

*sigh*

Fail with no option to repair anything during the long test.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

That result was to be expected.

Depending on the location and extent of damage, the situation may be recoverable.

Please confirm that your only means of recovering the system (to a new hard drive) is by using the hidden partition on the failed hard drive that would normally allow you to restore to "out of the box" factory condition. In other words, you do not have DVD disk(s) that will allow you to re-install the operating system to a new hard drive. Is that correct?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 Tetsab

Tetsab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Depending on the location and extent of damage, the situation may be recoverable.

It's nice to have a bit of hope. :)

In other words, you do not have DVD disk(s) that will allow you to re-install the operating system to a new hard drive. Is that correct?

Yes, that's right.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

As I see it, basically you have 3 options:
  • Take the laptop to a repair shop and pay to have them "fix" it.
  • Buy and fit a new hard drive to the laptop. Buy a Windows 7 installation disk: Install Windows along with the necessary drivers from Acer.
  • Buy a new hard drive for the laptop. With some assistance, attempt to recover the situation yourself. Using a desktop PC to attach the two laptop hard drives, clone the failed hard drive to the new hard drive. Then proceed as would have been normal, to use the "factory restore" partition to restore the system to "out of the box" condition. From the experience of having successfully done this before, I have fairly high expectations that this is likely to be successful.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 Tetsab

Tetsab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

Thanks very much for your help on this.

Right now I'm investigating if any sort of warranty claim might be possible, as it looks like it's still under one (but it's a limited warranty I've not dug up the terms for and if all of this was kicked off by stepping on the power bar then it could all be void for user error, or something like that, anyway, etc. etc.) other than that I'll settle on one of your options and that will be that.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Right now I'm investigating if any sort of warranty claim might be possible, as it looks like it's still under one

That's a good first step.

Let me know if you do require further assistance.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Tetsab

Tetsab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

Let me know if you do require further assistance.

Will do. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users