Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power went out and now my PC won't turn on.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darien

darien

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:14 AM

I was playing a game on my PC when the power went out in my room. It wasn't from a storm and only the power outlets in one room went out. I had my PC connected with a surge protector. The power hasn't come back to those outlets but I connected the surge protector to a working outlet with an extension cord. Everything I have on the surge protector is working except my PC. When I press the power button, nothing happens at all. No lights, fans, beeps, etc.

I tried using a different power supply cable and took the battery out of the motherboard and placed it back in, but it made no difference. I don't have another power supply powerful enough for this PC, but I tried this power supply in an older PC and there was no sound or anything out of that PC. The older PC's power supply seems to work in the older PC. I can't fully test it because that PC doesn't have a CPU anymore, but the older power supply did light up and cause the computer to make a buzzing sound, while my current power supply didn't make the old PC do anything.

My PC specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 @2.83Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon HD4870 512MB
Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard
Seagate 7200 RPM 640GB HD
OCZ Stealth 650 Watt Power Supply

I've now returned my power supply to my PC, but it's still not turning on at all. What could have happened ?

Edited by darien, 20 November 2011 - 01:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AndreasNHagen

AndreasNHagen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:14 AM

Hi Darien,

Issue is power related.
First try the computer on a different plug board, then a different outlet then try the computer in another location.

If the computer still wont start up the problem is likely to be the PC's PSU or power supply unit. There is still a good chance that the data is safe on the HDD.

Hope this helps!

#3 darien

darien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:23 AM

Is a plug board the same as a surge protector? My surge protector is working to power my other electronics at the moment; only my PC won't turn on. And the problem definitely isn't the outlet because I have everything else working fine from this outlet's surge protector, except my PC. Thanks for your reply.

Edited by darien, 20 November 2011 - 02:26 AM.

#4 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

It may sound silly... but try this.... what do you have to lose....

First removed the battery and the power cord... push and hold the power button to remove any lingering current... let it sit for a bit..... 30 minutes r more........ then try to power it on.... sometimes things need to reset them selfs...

Still not working??? one more idea... plug it directly into the plug that you know to work... hence no extension cords surge protectors...

Non computer related help... if you still dont have power on those plugs... reset the breaker or replace the fuse... :clapping:

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

If everything else on the surge protector, that the computer was plugged into, is still working then its on the computer side. You can try running a extensiom chord from the computer to a known good outlet and see if it fires up.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,224 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

Just a little story about what I ran into last week.

Client calls, computer doesn't boot after a power outage. Pick it up and check it out. No boot. Flipped the power switch on/off/on at the rear of the PSU, computer boots, hangs in BIOS screen, detects 2 identical hard drives on SATA0 and SATA5, there is no drive on SATA5. Ck voltages, 9.5V on the 12V. EZ fix, threw a CX430V2 in it......and no boot at all. Started to unplug components one by one, disk drives, USB card reader, hard drive, floppy, and it was the floppy shorting the 12V. Floppy disconnected, everything boots fine.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

The system definitely took a power hit if the wall outlet no longer works.

Follow Dpunishers advice and disconnect devices. Reconnect one at a time.

Make sure you have an electician look at that outlet in your wall.
If it took a good power hit I would not deem it safe anymore until someone qualified looks at it!
Dont want to burn your place down ya know!
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users