Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google redirect and Ping.exe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky 7

Lucky 7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:46 AM

Hello,

My computer came down with a google redirect virus. After reading around a bit, I ran Hitman (which listed consrv.dll as a trojan) and GMER (which gave a laundry list of crap temp files in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\). The crap temp files are piling up fast and some show they can't be deleted because they're in use by PING.EXE. Task manager shows PING.EXE climbing the charts toward total processor domination if I don't end the process. When I do end it, the pileup of temp files stops...until PING.EXE starts itself up again and begins caching files again.

So far I've done nothing, assuming that deleting my .dll file or PING.EXE would be bad.

Kaspersky popped up with 4 trojans last night and then deleted them. Scan now comes back clean.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. My processor and bandwidth are swamped.

Thanks!

edit: running Windows 7...read sticky THEN post, duh :blush:

Edited by Lucky 7, 09 November 2011 - 12:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 4,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hi Lucky 7, :busy:

I know it looks like a lot, but it's really just a lot of text asking for only 4 scans.

Once you've done these and posted the results in your next post, let me know how the computer is running.

Note: You may have to perform some or all of the following in Safe Mode With Networking, depending on if you have internet access while in the normal Windows environment.

============================================================================

Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.
Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet and double-click on the renamed file to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to this Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • Malwarebytes will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • Under the Scanner tab, make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • When finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box, then click the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked and then click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in safe mode.
-- If GMER crashes or keeps resulting in a BSODs, uncheck Devices on the right side before scanning

Remember, after posting the results of these scans, let me know how the computer is running.

Network+ Certified | Senior at UCF pursuing Information Technology B.S. | System Administrator

Please note that I am currently in training. All malware related posts must first be approved by an instructor. This may cause a delay.

#3 Lucky 7

Lucky 7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

Great, thanks for the info. Here are the scans, completed in the order listed:

Security Check:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.25
Windows 7 x64 (UAC is disabled!)
Internet Explorer 8 Out of date!
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012
WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
```````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Java™ 6 Update 24
Out of date Java installed!
Adobe Flash Player 11.0.1.152
Mozilla Firefox (7.0.1) Firefox Out of Date!
````````````````````````````````
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 avp.exe
Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 x64 klwtblfs.exe
``````````End of Log````````````

SuperAntiSpyware:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 11/09/2011 at 11:14 AM

Application Version : 5.0.1134

Core Rules Database Version : 7917
Trace Rules Database Version: 5729

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:44:18

Operating System Information
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Service Pack 1 (Build 6.01.7601)
UAC Off - Administrator

Memory items scanned : 368
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 71273
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 233754
File threats detected : 25

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt [ /ad.wsod ]
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt [ /ad.yieldmanager ]
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\gavin@apmebf[1].txt [ /apmebf ]
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\gavin@atdmt[1].txt [ /atdmt ]
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt [ /content.yieldmanager ]
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\gavin@dmtracker[1].txt [ /dmtracker ]
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\gavin@doubleclick[1].txt [ /doubleclick ]
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\gavin@media6degrees[2].txt [ /media6degrees ]
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\gavin@mediaplex[2].txt [ /mediaplex ]
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt [ /msnportal.112.2o7 ]
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\gavin@revsci[2].txt [ /revsci ]
C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt [ /www.windowsmedia ]
ad.insightexpressai.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
cdn.tremormedia.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
i.adultswim.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
media.king5.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
media.mtvnservices.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
media.whosay.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
media1.break.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
msnbcmedia.msn.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
objects.tremormedia.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
secure-us.imrworldwide.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
service.twistage.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
stat.easydate.biz [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]
www.goodcholesterolcount.com [ C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\VYLFEAWZ ]

Malwarebyte:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 8127

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514

11/9/2011 11:55:01 AM
mbam-log-2011-11-09 (11-55-01).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 190834
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 23 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

GMER:

GMER 1.0.15.15641 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2011-11-09 12:14:34
Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Running: 62skmbv2.exe

---- Files - GMER 1.0.15 ----

File C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS0051C.log 1048576 bytes

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.15 ----

After all that, situation seems to be unchanged. Google results still redirecting (maybe less than before?) and PING.EXE still hogging processor and loading computer with temp files until I end process. What next?

Thanks!

#4 McKleeve

McKleeve

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

I am having same problem as Lucky7, except I'm running Vista. I did all the scans as were outlined above, have same results as Lucky7, but have not posted the report files. Waiting to see what advice you may have for him. But I would appreciate it if you have any other suggestions prior to me posting files since I'm using Vista instead of 7.

Thanks.

#5 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 4,204 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Both of you should do the following:

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread.

Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

============================================================

But in the future, McKleeve, you need to start your own thread.

Network+ Certified | Senior at UCF pursuing Information Technology B.S. | System Administrator

Please note that I am currently in training. All malware related posts must first be approved by an instructor. This may cause a delay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users