Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy and Paste Not Working

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Periodically, for reasons I cannot figure out and for which I have found no solution, my copy/paste ceases to function. Nothing I do seems to fix it, deleting cache, etc. So eventually, out of frustration I give up but it interrupts my productivity of course. Some time later in the future I find it is working again but i do not know how/why it starts or stops and it is most vexing and inconvenient.

Anybody have a clue why this is happening/how to fix/and or prevent?

It seems to happen periodically whether I am using my Windows 7 or my Mac Snow Leopard?

I right click, select copy

right click again select paste and ZIP, NADA help please? I will be forever grateful or at least for a very long time! :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 28,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

Does highlighting the content and control C and control V work?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

raybcuserbar.jpg

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

Similar fault but in two completely different operating systems and computers. Can you give a little more detail as to what you are trying to copy, and also into what, document, web page, etc. you are trying to paste.
Unfortunately, they neglected to install a clipboard viewer in Windows 7 so we cannot do a copy, then look to see if it is there.
I don't even know if that facility was ever on a Mac.

Nev.
Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#4 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:40 AM

Does highlighting the content and control C and control V work?

Hmmmm, I have never tried control C or Control V - don't believe I was aware of them and I cannot try it now because currently I'm not having that problem.

The next time it happens (which is unpredictable) I will try that method though and see what happens. I think it seems to happen when I have been copying and pasting a lot of stuff, like total news articles and maybe graphics and if i do it frequently enough then it will happen. I'll try that next time. Thanks.

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:47 AM

Similar fault but in two completely different operating systems and computers. Can you give a little more detail as to what you are trying to copy, and also into what, document, web page, etc. you are trying to paste.
Unfortunately, they neglected to install a clipboard viewer in Windows 7 so we cannot do a copy, then look to see if it is there.
I don't even know if that facility was ever on a Mac.

Nev.

Well let's see - I belong to a lot of different sites, chats, blogs etc. and as such I frequently copy and paste news articles or stories or stuff I have written. A lot of times, most of the time it will be something like a news article from an online source with graphics or else it might be another article somebody wrote online that I'm trying to copy.

It seems to happen most often when I've do this frequently in the same session, like its something that gets full but I empty my cache and it doesn't fix it. Used to be I'd have an error report to check and it would have tons of stuff in it and if I deleted that SOMETIMES it seemed to help shortly though not immediately (maybe a couple minutes or 5 minutes later). I do have a couple of blogs and facebook but I don't do much of that on facebook. It usually contains some character special formatting and maybe some urls.

Many times I might be cutting and pasting from news articles online into an email I want to send like from yahoo mail or gmail. Thats all I can think of just now, if I remember more I will revise later. Thanks for taking a look.:busy:

Edited by kcsummer, 06 November 2011 - 02:49 AM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 28,259 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

Just for future reference if your right click menu for copy and paste doesn't work you can try and use program key combinations:

Windows program key combinations:
  • CTRL+C: Copy
  • CTRL+X: Cut
  • CTRL+V: Paste
  • CTRL+Z: Undo
  • CTRL+B: Bold
  • CTRL+U: Underline
  • CTRL+I: Italic

Above list from and more shortcuts: Keyboard shortcuts for Windows

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

raybcuserbar.jpg

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

Thank you I will try those if/when it happens again. Those are good to know anyway for other times as well.

Something tells me that when this random thing happens that they won't work for that because it seems to me like some setting is off or like a full something (buffer/cache or whatever). I'm not a computer tech person so I don't KNOW, its just something I feel.

But thanks i will no doubt use some of those from time to time appreciate the info.:thumbup2:

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 28,259 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

You're quite welcome.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

raybcuserbar.jpg

#9 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

It appears that it is another problem yet because the Conrtol C and X functions are not successful either. They "work" technically but nothing gets pasted (it also appears to copy but nothing gets pasted)

I was surprised the problem reoccurred so soon as its usually longer intervals.

It does seem to happen whenever I've been doing major/large cut and pastes repeatedly, I've never had it happen when I just am doing one or two.

Back to the drawing board -

Appreciate your help, even though that doesn't solve this problem it is nevertheless good to know.:blink:.

Edited by kcsummer, 08 November 2011 - 08:41 PM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

I'm Fishin'

• Members
  • 10,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

>> Conrtol C and X functions <<
Hi -
I just copied and pasted from your reply with CTRL C to copy, and then CTRL V to paste it here.

Normally I can Copy / Paste a full page, or more, with these 2 functions, but it can run into problems if there is more than just words.
Sometimes pictures Etc. will not copy / paste with this method. Is this your current problem ??

Thank You -
EDIT - Unless Animal has a better solution (as usual) :busy:

Edited by noknojon, 08 November 2011 - 09:05 PM.

#11 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:54 AM

No, its a bit more puzzling. I have been using copy/paste functions for over 5 years frequently and actually, it has to be some sort of system thing because I've had 4 or 5 different computers and they all do the same thing, in this same sort of sequence.

It usually occurs when I've been doing a substantial amount of copy and pasting. Everything is working fine, its copying text and formatting and sometimes pictures very well. Then, (why I think it sounds like some sort of buffer problem?) suddenly it quits working. I try a few things, dumping temporary files, clearing my system in the options available and it does not work.

Usually an hour or two later (though I have never timed it - sometimes it could be a day or so) its working again?

That's pretty much the way it goes..... Thanks :dance:

Edited by kcsummer, 10 November 2011 - 03:56 AM.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 28,259 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

If you are doing a lot of copy and pasting you might want to look into an alternative clipboard manger, which is what the copy and past function uses.

There are many available with a plethora of features and most are free.

One example: Yankee-Clipper 3

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

raybcuserbar.jpg

#13 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

If you are doing a lot of copy and pasting you might want to look into an alternative clipboard manger, which is what the copy and past function uses.

There are many available with a plethora of features and most are free.

One example: Yankee-Clipper 3

Well that is a fantastic tip. I had no idea there was such a thing. Great idea can't wait to try it.:thumbsup:

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 28,259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:29 AM

Again, you're quite welcome. I have no idea if it will alleviate your ongoing clipboard issue. Hopefully it will.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

raybcuserbar.jpg

#15 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:13 AM

well after considering the whole thing I have come to the conclusion that ... It either will or it won't, lol.

But right now I'm leaning toward the IT WILL. This is my week to be optimistic plus it makes sense imo.:blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users