Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows or Reformatting Hard Disk?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PinoyNoob

PinoyNoob

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:09 AM

You know, these previous days I haven't used my laptop because of some problems, I already posted my problem still waiting for the result and i'm really out of patience now.. So what's on my mind now is to reinstall the os or reformatting hard disk.. which is better can i choose reformatting the hard disk because it is faster than reinstalling windows? What will happen when i reformat the hard drive? will the system go back normal? i don't care now about my files since i have a backup what i want is to back my laptop in good state.. please i need answers and please teach me how to reformat hard drive thank you..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:29 AM

Without knowing what problems you are experiencing, if you want to start from scratch with a "clean system" you should format.

Boot to your OS disc. Choose the option to delete the existing partition and then recreate it. Format. Install. After installing you'll need to download and install all drivers starting with the chipset driver and followed by the video driver, sound driver, etc. Obtain the drivers from the website of your laptop manufacturer, not from Windows Update. Next install a GOOD anti virus application. Then download and install all Windows Updates (except for hardware / driver updates as previously explained).

If you need more detailed instructions you can look at any or all of these links:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/install-reinstall-uninstall

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

Edited by Allan, 03 November 2011 - 07:31 AM.

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

Hi,PinoyNoob.
What is the make/model of the laptop in question?
Do you have Windows 7 install media?

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

Sorry, Allen. Didn't see you there....

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:45 AM

You have an open malware topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic425622.html and it appears to me that you have received a fair amount of help thus far...so i have to wonder about your comment re "xtill waiting for the result".

As for reformatting vs reinstalling...reformatting is part of reinstalling. It's necessary to format in order to install any version of Windows. Formatting is part of the Windows install process.

If you don't intend to reinstall Windows, then formatting the hard drive/partition is a necessary step in preparing the drive to be used for storage of data files.

There is plenty of documentation available on the Web...if you have any questions about installing Windows, reformatting a drive/partition, and such.

If you have an OEM syxtem (any laptop is an OEM system), then the procedures for installing Windows are governed by the manufacturer of the system. Such procedures should be detailed in the user/owner manual and/or at the respective website of the system manufacturer.

Louis

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,864 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

As for reformatting vs reinstalling...reformatting is part of reinstalling. It's necessary to format in order to install any version of Windows. Formatting is part of the Windows install process.

With all due respect, that's not actually the case. As I'm sure you know, there are many folks who intend to do a clean install of the OS but do not format first, and then end up with multiple Windows Installations. It is not necessary to format in order to install Windows - it's simply an option presented during the installation routine.

#7 PinoyNoob

PinoyNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

oh hi allan thanks for the comment
how about reformatting the hard drive using the computer management?
will the errors and virus will be gone ?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,864 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

You cannot format the system drive from within Windows. You need to do it at boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users