Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Studio 1558 Wont power on

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 2arben

2arben

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

Dell Studio 1558. Intel i3 processor, 4 GB DDR 3 Ram. Windows 7.

Okay this laptop is seriously giving me the biggest headache, and I don't know what to do.

Originally, the power button was broken, so I purchased a new one and replaced it. (important that it was not turning on at this point before replacing either)

When I plug in the ac adapter, the light on the dc jack will power on than turn off. This point not sure if its the motherboard or dc jack. So I replace the DC jack. The new one has the same problem. I plug in the jack, the light on the dc jack showing power will light up, than turn off.

I invest in a new motherboard. Same freakin problem! I cannot get it to turn on.

Battery is good, holds a charge (has one of those things on it that lights up to show how much power it has).

So, tl'dr Cannot get laptop to power on. Replaced motherboard and dc jack and power button. Only thing that lights up is the dc jack led when plugged in, but turns off after a couple of seconds.

I am getting desperate, anyone have any idea what is going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

hi,did you try plugging it in and turning it on without the ram/harddrive installed and lcd plugged in the motherboard

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

aug 2014, last week this young man lost his life in a single car accident on his way to work ,so sad

#3 2arben

2arben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have tried that. On both the old and new motherboard. Still no power on.

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2011 - 08:56 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

ok

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.

aug 2014, last week this young man lost his life in a single car accident on his way to work ,so sad

#5 2arben

2arben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Any idea on what it could be?

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2011 - 09:00 AM.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

ideas are all i have ,correct answers that's another thing .

the only common thing left is the processor ,but that doesn't mean its dead ,how did you know the power button was broken ,and in what was it broken ,how does it connet to motherboard ,

unreleated but ,as i type this im trying to repair the power button on my own compaq ,i broke off the click that holdes it down and now the ribbon cable won't make a connection to the motherboard ,trying hot clue,it worked once for me on a Dell i broke/fixed

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2011 - 08:58 AM.

#7 2arben

2arben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

ideas are all i have ,correct answers that's another thing .

the only common thing left is the processor ,but that doesn't mean its dead ,how did you know the power button was broken ,and in what was it broken ,how does it connet to motherboard ,

unreleated but ,as i type this im trying to repair the power button on my own compaq ,i broke off the click that holdes it down and now the ribbon cable won't make a connection to the motherboard ,trying hot clue,it worked once for me on a Dell i broke/fixed
[/quote]

I knew the power button was broken because it was physically broken. It was the reason I started fixing it in the first place. The button itself was ripped out of the side of the computer with only wires hanging out.

Anybody know what the problem could be?

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2011 - 09:00 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote...please use Add Reply button to respond, rather than Quote button. Only two persons posting, quote unnecessary for clarification.

#8 RedJetski

RedJetski

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

Hello, I am having the same issue with my Studio 1558. I have already also tried replacing the motherboard when this happened. No success. When under battery power only and pressing the power button I can hear a whinning sound from the bottom middle of the computer, do you get this? Please post if you find a fix.

#9 RedJetski

RedJetski

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

I figured out my problem. The touchpad assembly was causing the issue. If I removed the keyboard and unplugged the touch pad ribbon, then replaced the keyboard, the computer would turn right on. I ordered a used touch pad / frame assembly and replaced, now the computer works like new.

#10 kriskiran

kriskiran

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:29 AM

Hi All,

i am having the same problem as above. I tried removing the touch pad and turned on. But the problem still persists. Could somebody suggest furthur repair activity??

Thanks in advance.
Kiran

#11 TurboSharkster

TurboSharkster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

I had the same issue with my daughter's Studio 1558 after it was 2 years 2 months old. I replaced the coin battery as someone suggested but nothing changed. My symptom was that I'd insert the power adapter cable into the laptop and the charge light would glow for about 1 second and then turn off - probably because the battery was fully charged. i could verify the status of the battery by  pressing the button on the battery - all 5 lights glowed indicating a full charge.

Her laptop has a lighted keyboard which clued me into what the problem was. I noticed that both hindges for the monitor were cracked on the rounded part, so I wondered if there was something lose or wrong with the connection to the power button. I slowly moved the monitor up/down while holding in the power button and noticed the keyboard flash on very briefly. I then tried to find that spot where the keyboard lit up. Once I did, the computer booted up.

So in general, there is a lose connection that causes the power button not to be recognized. Once we find the sweet spot, the button works and it powers up and the computer keeps running no matter what position the monitor is in. So it only seems to affect use of the power button and once it's running, things are fine. I'm not sure if I'll take it apart and see if I can fix that lose connection. Perhaps I'll do that once it dies for good.

She said the cracks appeared within the 1st year, and the boot problem just started happening at about the 2 year mark. I'd say that's kind of a weak point with this laptop - poor craftsmanship. I have several Dell laptops for work that I've used for 4 or 5 years (some are Latitude 830's). I've traveled all over the world with one for 5 years - it took a beating, has a cracked case, a hole in one corner from when I dropped it, yet it still runs fine. So I suspect this issue with my daughters Studio 1558 is a design flaw in that computer - not necessarily every Dell.

My company has since switched to Lenovo for some reason. Those computers seem fine and I've traveled with them. Not sure about durability yet. I just hate where they placed the Function key - non-standard compared to everyone else in the world. Extremely frustrating for someone who works with both Lenovo and other brands at the same time. If I only used Lenovo I guess I'd get used to it, but it drives me crazy!!!!!!!

Hope that helps some of you... good luck!

#12 SilentSeashore

SilentSeashore

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

I had the same issue with my daughter's Studio 1558 after it was 2 years 2 months old. I replaced the coin battery as someone suggested but nothing changed. My symptom was that I'd insert the power adapter cable into the laptop and the charge light would glow for about 1 second and then turn off - probably because the battery was fully charged. i could verify the status of the battery by  pressing the button on the battery - all 5 lights glowed indicating a full charge.

Her laptop has a lighted keyboard which clued me into what the problem was. I noticed that both hindges for the monitor were cracked on the rounded part, so I wondered if there was something lose or wrong with the connection to the power button. I slowly moved the monitor up/down while holding in the power button and noticed the keyboard flash on very briefly. I then tried to find that spot where the keyboard lit up. Once I did, the computer booted up.

So in general, there is a lose connection that causes the power button not to be recognized. Once we find the sweet spot, the button works and it powers up and the computer keeps running no matter what position the monitor is in. So it only seems to affect use of the power button and once it's running, things are fine. I'm not sure if I'll take it apart and see if I can fix that lose connection. Perhaps I'll do that once it dies for good.

She said the cracks appeared within the 1st year, and the boot problem just started happening at about the 2 year mark. I'd say that's kind of a weak point with this laptop - poor craftsmanship. I have several Dell laptops for work that I've used for 4 or 5 years (some are Latitude 830's). I've traveled all over the world with one for 5 years - it took a beating, has a cracked case, a hole in one corner from when I dropped it, yet it still runs fine. So I suspect this issue with my daughters Studio 1558 is a design flaw in that computer - not necessarily every Dell.

My company has since switched to Lenovo for some reason. Those computers seem fine and I've traveled with them. Not sure about durability yet. I just hate where they placed the Function key - non-standard compared to everyone else in the world. Extremely frustrating for someone who works with both Lenovo and other brands at the same time. If I only used Lenovo I guess I'd get used to it, but it drives me crazy!!!!!!!

You have no idea how much money and headache you saved me with this piece of experience good Sir!! I thank you with all my heart. Your suggestion solved the problem JUST as you said.  I'll never forget you and this forum for saving practically my career with this info. I'm ever grateful.
To everyone out there having this same problem with your Dell Studio 1558 - it is most likely a hardware fault which never got under Dell's scanner and as a result a LOT of bad products were shipped. I've been the unfortunate victim as several others like me.
And lastly - NEVER support their support. They have the MOST illiterate bunches I've ever faced and I've faced A LOT. No offense to anyone of you who might be connected to the company but ya'll know what I'm talking about at least. I had my motherboard replaced FROM Dell for this, replaced even my heat sink!! You won't believe this but they never ever once mentioned that something can be wrong with the power button or the connection therein.
Nevertheless, I end this mini-rant with a piece of advice I've found helpful from experience and forum-browsing. Before going large scale, try to rule out smaller problems. Like this one I had. Yes MAYBE it is your motherboard which had faulted but first make sure your power button has NOT before calling Dell or other Dell-approved technicians because 10-1 they'll go all postal with this even before considering the power button and make you replace your motherboard or at best (if your product's out of warranty and it's a local technician) take a bunch of money for 'replacing faulty chip' inside.  

#13 mebdrew

mebdrew

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

I had the same issue! Battery fully charged, put the plug in and the power light would blink on then turn off.  However, even if I moved the monitor up and down, NOTHING would get it to work.  Before I read your post, I was reading Dell's suggestions and they led me to believe I needed a new motherboard!  My wife's Dell Studio 1550 (or 1500 I can't recall at this moment) just needed a replacement power button, which cost $8! I installed it myself, after watching a guide (not rocket science) and IT WORKED! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

#14 TurboSharkster

TurboSharkster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Response to mebdrew - I ended up buying the $8 button replacement on Amazon. Worked like a charm. I originally tried soldering the bad connection but it's so tiny I just couldn't do it reliably. The $8 button was easy to install. However, today (by coincidence) my daughter came to me and said the same thing was happening. I did the old trick where I moved the screen up/down to find the sweet spot and it turned. on. I guess I'll be ordering another button (so it only lasted about 9 months). Back in March 2013 I did see a video on YouTube of a guy who mounted the button in the blank area above the keyboard so it wasn't mounted in the area that would move as you open/close the screen. I may try taking that approach this time to avoid the problem from reoccurring.

To buy the replacement button, I simply searched Amazon for "Studio 1558 power button". The one I used had a part number of DD0FM8PB000 and seems to be $10 now.

I don't blame tech companies too much for poor support. Anyone with real knowledge, and which also has good communication skills will probably be making lots more money than the people answering phones. That's just the way it works. You can call tech experts like the Geek Squad at Best Buy but having someone like that diagnose and fix the issue will be too costly. $10 is certainly worth it if you can do it yourself, but not $100 or more. In that case I'd just buy a new laptop.

Edited by TurboSharkster, 08 December 2013 - 10:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users