Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aloysious

aloysious

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

I have several users running Windows 7 enterprise, and every so often their desktop icons disappear, that is the icons they have created (shortcuts, and various MS office files)

I have googled this, but the solutions offered never seem to work.

They only solution I have found is to disable the UAC, but that is not really a good solution in my opinion.

I am running Windows 7 professional and I have some strange happenings as well, although I have never experienced the disappearing icon issue. My issue is mostly with Adobe acrobat. I have acrobat 7.0 professional, updated as far as I can without purchasing a newer verion, and I'll be in the middle of viewing a pdf and I'll get a message that my configuration has changed and I need to re-activate my copy, so I do and get the thank you message.

Is there some kind of security refresh time-out period, or something that would trigger a security setting reset of some kind?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

Hello, if you are running windows 7 in a domain environment then you might have those hosts(users) running a mandatory profile which saves no configuration changes or files to that account they would have to have a redirected home folder to save files and be able to pull them back up after logging out.

And about the activation thing do you have a KMS host server or do you activate directly to Microsoft activation servers?

#3 aloysious

aloysious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

We do have a KMS server, not sure what you mean about the redirected home folders, but we do connect H: to a networked location. In XP it used to redirect the users "My Documents" to their H: Drive, but it does not happen in Win 7.

Unfortunately the folks at corporate know less than I do about active directory, and they have the control and I don't.

So is there something I can do, like scrapping the H: Drive? The users can create their personal folders on the main file server for all that that matters.

Tahnks

#4 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

Check this post about redirecting folders with Windows 7
As for the KMS Server I believe they can set it to authenticate every 90 days so it won't bother you so often.

#5 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

Are you able to install XP mode onto your computer? If you can I think that adobe acrobat 7 would work better in XP mode since it is intended for XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users