Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not recognizing audio devices

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 schues

schues

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

I guess I'll start from the beginning. I have a Compaq PC and HP monitor with built-in speakers, which were purchased in 2009 and have worked perfectly up until now. Yesterday, I was going to back up my husband's PS3 and using an old external hard drive I had laying around. The hard drive needed to be formatted in FAT32 first, which I was going to do with the computer. The HDD has a slot for a power adapter as well as USB connector. Couldn't remember if it really needed external power (should've known it didn't--DUMB!), but I went ahead and plugged it in, then plugged the USB into the computer. Instantly it "zapped" the computer, which I was able to start back up. At that point, the USB wired keyboard was not working--when plugged in (regardless of which slot), there was an error, something to the effect of "this device is not recognized." Figured it was "fried" and went out and bought a new keyboard, which works fine. The external hard drive seems to be dead, too, but no biggie (it was from an old laptop, and I never use it anyway).

Getting to the current problem: now I have realized the sound's not working either. The monitor is connected to the PC via the audio line out jack. The computer is now not recognizing that it is even plugged in. It also does not recognize when anything is plugged into the headphone jack on the front of the tower. Cannot even open the volume control in the taskbar, as it says "No speakers or headphones are plugged in." I have done all the troubleshooting I can find, made sure the sound card/chip is okay, updated the driver, etc., and haven't been able to find anything. Just wondering if anybody out there would have a clue where exactly the problem is, or what to try next? I'm pretty comfortable going in the case and replacing stuff myself, as long as I know what to replace! Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

The device manager is the first thing to check on any flags or marks? Any greyed out area for adjusting channel or output could indicate that it was not enabled or not properly installed/incorrect drivers. There are also settings on some BIOS to enable sounds. What particular model is the PC? Does it have a sound card and checked the source output in control panel on this device?

Edited by jhayz, 30 October 2011 - 09:12 PM.

Tekken

#3 schues

schues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

Compaq model 5210F, monitor HP model 2009m. Running Windows 7. I'm almost positive the sound is integrated (no separate sound card), but could be wrong. The device comes up as "Realtek High Definition Audio."

The device manager is the first thing to check on any flags or marks? Any greyed out area for adjusting channel or output could indicate that it was not enabled or not properly installed/incorrect drivers.

No exclamation points or other marks. Properties say that the device is working properly, and I updated the driver. Can't find any way to check the output in Device Manager, but if I go to Manage Audio Devices, the playback devices have the proper jacks listed (rear panel 3.5 mm jack for speakers, front for headphones). I have tried disabling and reenabling the devices as well. I am afraid this may be a hardware problem due to the my stupidity in "zapping" the system. With the keyboard, it was a peripheral problem (new keyboard works perfectly), but I have tried headphones and a different set of speakers with no success.

I am unfamiliar with using BIOS--please explain. Again, OS is Windows 7 if it makes a difference.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,010 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

The monitor is connected to the PC via the audio line out jack

The monitor should work as a stand-alone audio or does not need any connection going to the PC tower. The external speakers are the once you need to connect going to the audio jack(usually with symbols and color coded). Go to Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Sound and on Playback tab check your check or select your default playback device. You could also highlight the default device(ex. Realtek High Definition Audio)to Configure or test. You could also right-click the volume icon found on your system tray or notification area and choose the sound or playback devices.

Tekken

#5 schues

schues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:11 PM

jhayz, I don't have external speakers--the speakers are built into the monitor. It is connected to the tower via VGA for video and audio jack for audio. The problem is not that the correct device is not selected, it's that the computer doesn't even recognize that there is a device plugged in (have also tried another set of speakers, as well as headphones). As I said, I have already done the troubleshooting with the Device Manager to make sure everything is working properly there. On the playback tab, it lists Speakers and Headphones, but under each, it says "Not plugged in" (even when there is something plugged in).

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,010 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

Have you seen this link from HP? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&docname=c01289551

Tekken

#7 schues

schues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:03 AM

Really? Plug the speakers in? Turn the volume up? Oh gee, why didn't I think of that?! :crazy: <_< I WAS able to click around on there and find instructions for how to mess with stuff in BIOS, but it didn't help either. Unless anyone else has a bright idea, I think I'm just going to buy a USB audio adapter for like 10 bucks and see if that works. Could also try a new sound card, I suppose, but the only slot I've got left is a PCI express, and sound cards that fit that are a lot more expensive than the PCI ones (my one PCI slot is taken up by the wireless card I installed). Not like I need breaktaking sound anyway--just enough to watch youtube videos and maybe listen to a little music.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

This may be an obvious thing to check but what color is the jack that the speakers are plugged in to?
Make sure they are in the lime green one.
I have seen too many times where people simply have the speakers plugged in to the wrong jack.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:10 AM

Hi Schues,

Another possibility is that the audio service may not be started

Go to Start>>type in services.msc. Scroll down to Windows Audio>> Right-click>>Properties.

Make sure that 'Startup' is set to automatic. Click Apply and okay...Now check the startup status under services..Make sure it says started. If not look to the left and click start service...

Pauline

#10 schues

schues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

This may be an obvious thing to check but what color is the jack that the speakers are plugged in to?
Make sure they are in the lime green one.
I have seen too many times where people simply have the speakers plugged in to the wrong jack.

Yep. I had not unplugged or changed anything when the sound stopped working.

Hi Schues,

Another possibility is that the audio service may not be started

Go to Start>>type in services.msc. Scroll down to Windows Audio>> Right-click>>Properties.

Make sure that 'Startup' is set to automatic. Click Apply and okay...Now check the startup status under services..Make sure it says started. If not look to the left and click start service...

Pauline

Yes, I forgot to mention I had already tried that as well. I think I have basically tried everything that was in the troubleshooter on the computer, plus every tip or trick I could find on the internet. The speakers still work (have plugged them into my iPod just to check), and according to the device manager and everything else I can find, the sound card/chip is working properly as well. Drivers are fine and the speakers and sound device had no trouble communicating before, so it seems it's the physical connection between the two that's the problem.

As of now, I have ordered a $2 USB audio adapter from Amazon and will report back when that comes as to whether or not it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users