Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All pictures are Red X'd out

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cadwen

Cadwen

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

Greetings all,

I posted this a few weeks ago to this forum, it was moved to the Security forum and Gringo_pr ran me through his tests and verified that my computer does not have any malware on it. He recommended I bring this back to this forum in the hopes that you might be able to help me. Here is the link to the original topic and here is the link to the topic to the logs that Gringo_pr had me do. There is a screenshot I attached to the second topic (second link) which illustrates what I'm talking about. I would upload it here but I am almost out of my global attachment quota.

For the sake of having all the text on a single topic, I will copy the first topic's text here:

On Wednesday I acquired a lovely computer virus that would, on some timer I could not determine, say "Congratulations, you've won!" through my speakers. Originally, my firewall/virus scanner (Norton 360) blocked one attempt but it obviously missed a few more. After realizing I was infected, I closed all my windows and ran a full system check. Despite still having the audio coming through my speakers (and when I Ctrl+Alt+Delete'd, I could see about 10,000 windows of Internet Explorer [I know, it's a bleep browswer but it's what I've used for ages] that were not visible from my desktop), Norton said my computer was clean.

I then google'd the issue, read from various websites to try running different scanners, and ultimately went for Spybot. Spybot 'caught' the virus and got rid of it (yay!). However, now, I have a different delima. After ridding the computer of the virus, -every- -single- button has the little picture of the red X (does this have a name?). While I can click on the button as if it were there and have it redirect me to wherever it goes, I cannot see anything.

I feel I am doing a poor job of explaining this but I am not sure I can do any better. If I were more tech savvy, I'd take a screen shot and upload it to imgur to show you guys what I have going on. However, I can barely navigate the web as it is now, not having visible buttons and such.

I've ran both Spybot & Norton a few times each since with no avail. Reboot didn't work. Going into Tools -> Advanced and fooling around in there with various things that other websites said to try didn't work. Hell, for funzies, I even tried to do a system restore to see if that would fix it. Interestingly enough, whatever 'this' is, seems to be preventing my system from doing a clean restore.

Again, I'd like to reiterate that, per gringo_pr's efforts and awesome help, my computer does not appear to have any malware on it. Furthermore, there is no virus. This appears to be something that was altered while the machine was infected but I am only speculating. Any help would be grately appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

I looked at the image you posted in another topic, but I need more info.
Are those red X present in your browser only?
If so what browser?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Cadwen

Cadwen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:06 PM

Good point, sorry I didn't clarify more. Yes, only with the browser which is Internet Explorer. Thanks for the fast response, Broni!

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,331 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

Open IE, go Tools>Internet options>Advanced tab click on "Reset" button.
Restart IE.

If the above won't fix the issue take a look here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/internet-explorer/34960-fix-dreaded-red-x.html

WARNING!!! The above suggestion involves editing of the registry. Improper editing of the registry can cause your computer to become unbootable. ALWAYS backup your registry before modifying the registry.

To backup your registry, create a System Restore point. Alternatively, you can use the free utility ERUNT to create backups of your registry: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Cadwen

Cadwen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

Backed up & set a new System Restore point.

Completed the IE Reset, no change.

Read the article on deleting those registries, did it, no change.

Thoughts? New ideas? I'm tempted to take the tower out back and go all 'Office Space' on it. . .

#6 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

Try creating a new account and see if it does the samething. If not then start using the new profile and back up your info from the non-working account and then delete it.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

Also check the Internet Options icon - advanced tab - under multimedia make sure that show pictures is checked.

You might also test it with another web browser like Firefox.

Edit: I just re-read and see that yu say the buttons do the same thing. Do you mean the buttons across the top of IE or buttons that might appear in a web page?
I have seen IE act really quirky after malware removal at times. Give Firefox a try.

Edited by Eyesee, 27 October 2011 - 11:39 AM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,331 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

Yet another option would be to uninstall IE8. It'll roll back to IE7. See if same problem is present there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,218 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

There is a setting in IE (Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab)...which will turn off all sound or video or graphics...under Multimedia. You may want to check that.

If not that, I'd say you have a browser issue.

Louis

#10 Cadwen

Cadwen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

Nitekram:
That worked! Everything is as it should be when I made a guest account and fired up IE. Is there any easy way to transfer all my crap from one account to the other? Or would that just copy whatever is making the red Xs over to the new account?

Eyesee:
I've already done the check-box thing under the multimedia tab with no avail. The buttons that are Xd out are the ones the page loads, not the browsing buttons at the top (Favorites, Tabs, Home, Refresh, File, Edit, etc.).

Broni:
How does one uninstall the latest version of IE? If I roll it back to 7 and it's not an issue, do you think it'd be okay to do a fresh install of 8 and see if it works or should I just stick with 8?

Hamluis:I've already tried that with no success. Thanks though.

It's looking like either uninstalling 8 and going to 7, using a different user account, or using an entirely different browser are my options at this point. Any other suggestions? Would using another browser be the easiest fix for all of this? Is it something as simple as just installing it and using that instead of IE?

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,331 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

How does one uninstall the latest version of IE? If I roll it back to 7 and it's not an issue, do you think it'd be okay to do a fresh install of 8 and see if it works or should I just stick with 8?

If you installed IE8 BEFORE you installed SP3 you'll have to uninstall SP3 first in order to uninstall IE8.
If that's not the case you can uninstall IE8 through Add\Remove.
If IE7 behaves you can try to upgrade to IE8 again.

If you rather want to go "new profile" way here is how to transfer all data to new profile: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

I would be curious to see if FireFox does the same thing, although I expect it would work.
Worth testing though.

Its worth a try to roll it back to IE7 then test it. If it works then do a clean install of IE8.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=43
Full download of IE8
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 chrisoz

chrisoz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

I have the same problem. Hope someone can find the right fix for it. Lots of luck.

Mod Edit: You have an open malware log topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic425920.html/page__p__2460873#entry2460873 and it is very unlikely that you have "the same problem." In any case, please resolve your malware topic before...commenting in posts made by others...or initiating new topics about your situation ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2011 - 03:43 PM.
Split from different topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users