Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 desktop icons won't open

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RandyBmore

RandyBmore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

I have a one year old HP pc with Windows 7. My problem is that quite a few of the desktop icons wont open, such as itunes, Advanced System Care4 etc. If I dbl-click on one, the pointer flickers momentarily and then nothing however if I open the task manager they are listed as running. Today I clicked on itunes and it didn't open so I gave up and left and watched an entire football game on TV. I came back 3 hrs later set down at my desk and all of a suden itunes popped up. Three hours to load the program. Same will happen with AVS4.
I have turned off all start up items and shut down microsoft items at start up and that worked once then the problem began again so I tried it again but this time it knew what I was doing and went around the fix. :o)

Any advice? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling softwares, registry fixes, registry cleaners ,Malwarebites,IOBits, AVG scans, Microsofts "sfc /scannow" but no signs of a virus or registry corruption. Even tried a memory scan. Help?
(said programs won't open from All Programs list either)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Retired

• Members
  • 9,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:36 AM

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling softwares, registry fixes, registry cleaners ,Malwarebites,IOBits,

IoBit and Malwarebytes will clash at times, so I usually advise to remove IoBit programs first.
Do you have any Registry Cleaners installed, as these can upset the normal operation of any Windows programs.
(itunes, Advanced System Care4) Are these just among the FEW programs, or are we talking about Most / All programs.

Your mention of AVS 4 must mean that you use a lot of video or television downloading.

The next thing I might try is making sure your Video card drivers are fully updated and that Java and Flash Player are also current.

A few ideas for you to look at for now -

Regards -

#3 RandyBmore

RandyBmore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

Well I finally found my problem. I had plugged my WD external hard drive in to a 3.0 USB and that was interfering. Unplugged it and everything is back to normal.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

Retired

• Members
  • 9,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

Hi again -
Thank you for telling us the problem is solved, and you are now back to normal - -

Regards -

#5 RandyBmore

RandyBmore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. I learned a lot just fiddling with different things trying to solve the problem. Was frustrating at times but at least now it's back. I still don't understand why an external hard drive would interfere with iTunes and IOBIT's software. It has always slowed the start up though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users